Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

double domain name

Hi does anyone know why all of a sudden when I type my domain name into any browser it appears twice and the so the front page comes up as missing???

example:
    I type in www.domain.com and it appears www.domain.com/domain.com in the address bar i have 2 sites and the same thing is happening to both sites. The web hosting is with ipage and the domain is with godaddy. Everything was fine and I had some issues with godaddy regarding re-registering the domains and since then it's been happening. I emailed them and asked them and they said because the hosting is not with them they cant check...seems weird everything was fine until I had the problem with domain purchasing with godaddy

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    GoDaddy is right in this case in all likelihood. This does, on the surface, sound like a hosting issue...especially if it's happening on two sites. What are the sites we're talking about?

Also, some things to check:

1) Any .htaccess entries (I don't think iPage does Windows hosting) that would generate a redirect based on www.domain.com .
    2) Any weird entries in your DNS, if have access to your cPanel and can edit your DNS zone. If you're not sure what this means, show us the sites and there are a couple of people here that should be able to answer that for you.

I'm especially suspicious since iPage is an EIG company:

Endurance International Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Endurance International Group (EIG) is a giant company that buys other companies, tries to consolidate all of them into one under separate "brands", and usually ends up sinking them into an abyss of abject stupidity and a level of service previously reserved for fast food workers and paralegals. What you're describing sounds along the lines of a typical EIG screwup, especially considering what I just saw yesterday from a client of mine who chooses to host with HostGator (another EIG company on that list). I actually saw them somehow serve 26,000 pages from a website using ns2.domain.com as the address...as in the nameserver address was used as a web address. I had to go in and create a web entry and an .htaccess entry to fix the problem, and now I have to wait until Google gets the URLs corrected. THAT is EIG stupidity in a nutshell.

EDIT: This isn't your fault in any way. This is a criticism of the EIG conglomerate as a whole.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    GoDaddy is right in this case in all likelihood. This does, on the surface, sound like a hosting issue...especially if it's happening on two sites. What are the sites we're talking about?

Also, some things to check:

1) Any .htaccess entries (I don't think iPage does Windows hosting) that would generate a redirect based on www.domain.com .
    2) Any weird entries in your DNS, if have access to your cPanel and can edit your DNS zone. If you're not sure what this means, show us the sites and there are a couple of people here that should be able to answer that for you.

I'm especially suspicious since iPage is an EIG company:

Endurance International Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Endurance International Group (EIG) is a giant company that buys other companies, tries to consolidate all of them into one under separate "brands", and usually ends up sinking them into an abyss of abject stupidity and a level of service previously reserved for fast food workers and paralegals. What you're describing sounds along the lines of a typical EIG screwup, especially considering what I just saw yesterday from a client of mine who chooses to host with HostGator (another EIG company on that list). I actually saw them somehow serve 26,000 pages from a website using ns2.domain.com as the address...as in the nameserver address was used as a web address. I had to go in and create a web entry and an .htaccess entry to fix the problem, and now I have to wait until Google gets the URLs corrected. THAT is EIG stupidity in a nutshell.

EDIT: This isn't your fault in any way. This is a criticism of the EIG conglomerate as a whole.
    thanks for the reply...what should I do to fix this?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Depends on what exactly the problem is. We'd have to see it in action to even give you general advice. That's such a weird situation I don't know how much of a help any of us are going to be.

Again, let's start with the domains/sites.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads