Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Transferring a site from a development domain to a live one

First up, apologies - I am an experienced web designer but I never usually have to deal with this side of things, hence my amateurness - plus I mostly just build sites on live domains for new startup companies!

A client of mine has a site currently online, and I have built a new Wordpress-based one for them on my own development domain. I need to transfer this across to replace the current live site soon, and could do with some help please!

I have created a new database through their control panel, so I know that I need to export the database from my development site and import it into the new 'live' database. After this I will make a backup through FileZilla of all files currently on their live site. Next I think I need to run some SQL queries on the imported database to make sure the correct live URL is used in all instances.

From there I think the next step is to transfer via FileZilla all files / folders from my development site to replace the files on the live site - I will also need to tweak WP-CONFIG.PHP accordingly.

Is this correct? Am I missing something huge? It doesn't seem quite right to me. Would I need to adjust DNS settings at all? I was thinking not as the live site is not moving to new hosting or anything… but as I say, I'm clueless! Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I think you've got it all covered, although I'm not sure what you mean by "Next I think I need to run some SQL queries on the imported database to make sure the correct live URL is used in all instances"? Which URLs are you referring to?

Don't forget to add the correct user and password (as specified in your wp-config) to the live database and give that user privileges for the database. Make sure that you add any databse prefixes for the database name and the user name if these are required by the host (some hosts automatically prefix the database name and user names which means that the names might be different from your development server).

As long as the domain name remains the same and you're still hosting it on the same server you don't have to change any DNS settings.

As long as you back everything up you'll be fine as you can always revert if it doesn't work at first.

Good luck with it.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Take a look at the plugin Duplicator. I've used in on several of the projects I've done.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    One thing you have to watch out for when transferring WordPress databases is URLs stored in serialized arrays. Plugins like Duplicator (mentioned above) I've heard great things about, and surely handle this sort of stuff automatically for you. It's also free, unlike many other backup/clone plugins for WordPress.

Member #
    Sorry for the delay - thanks so much for the responses, all. I had been recommended something like Duplicator before - I'll check out Duplicator itself though, cheers for the recommendation.

With regards to the SQL queries - I think Duplicator would handle this, but its my (limited!) understanding that wp_posts, wp_postmeta and wp_options have to have the new, live site's URL pasted in place of all examples of my development URL?

djitsz - my client's hosting company is very old fashioned and won't give me control of the users and database settings and they have just gone ahead and created the new database and a user for it - I'll have to see if they'll set up a user using my development details

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by modula View Post
    With regards to the SQL queries - I think Duplicator would handle this, but its my (limited!) understanding that wp_posts, wp_postmeta and wp_options have to have the new, live site's URL pasted in place of all examples of my development URL?
    Duplicator takes care of that.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads