Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AlphaMare

Thread: My 1st Go Daddy experience

Member #
    Liked
    171 times

My 1st Go Daddy experience

And I must say I hate them with a passion.... I have wasted so much time trying to figure out their crap to the point I am upside down on a bid I gave the client. Grant it I am use to using Hostmonster which I have used or recommended for the last several years and so I am familiar with them but dang, the menus are all multi-levels and confusing and don't really take you to where you really need.

First off the client already purchased the Domain name so I went into Go Daddy to try and get the FTP information and after an hour or so of looking I realize they didn't have a hosting plan..... WTF everyone knows when you buy a hosting plan with Go Daddy, Hostmonster, Bluehost etc etc, you get a free domain so why didn't they take advantage of that to begin with. So I inform them they need to purchase a hosting plan.

Second issue I had was wiith their forwarding. So they purchased the hosting plan and I set up the FTP and I upload the site, now when you type in http://www.thesite.com it takes them to a forward Facebook address so I go to turn that off and it tells me the domain is not eligible wtf.... Though I gave it time and it finally worked but what the heck. Hostmonster has been so much more easier to use.

Really if I had to go to a certain page like the domains hosting on Go Daddy I honestly would waste 10-15 just trying to figure out how I had gotten to that page to begin with.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    You know they could buy the domain from GoDaddy and still host with hostmonster, right? They don't have to host with GoDaddy just because they got the domain name there.
    I encourage my clients to keep their domain and hosting purchases separate - using Netfirms for domains (they offered .ca domins years ago, long before GoDaddy started to) and Hostmonster for hosting (excellent tech and customer support - no outsourcing).
    Perhaps you can discuss with your client the cancellation of the hosting with GoDaddy and opening an account with Hostmonster?
    TheGAME1264 and Fireproofgfx like this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As much as I think GoDaddy is a horrible host, I can't put this one on them and I'll tell you why: your client registered the domain first and then apparently used whatever forwarding comes with the domain registration to point it to that Facebook page. That means your client was committing the sin of strangeness right off the bat and by doing so eliminated any culpability on the part of GoDaddy.

Like Mare says, the domain and hosting don't have to be purchased together and shouldn't be purchased together. Just because a host offers free domain registration with purchase of a hosting plan doesn't mean you should do that...that's a very dangerous thing to do, even with a company like GoDaddy that clearly keeps them separate. Besides, GoDaddy to the best of my knowledge never did offer a free domain with hosting...they may offer say a $1.99 domain with hosting, but it's never free that I've seen.

Like I said, there are reasons that GoDaddy sucks as a host (e.g. losing SQL Server databases), but this isn't one of them.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Can someone explain why it is bad to have both on the same account? I have hosting through godaddy (where i did recieve a free domain with my hosting.. Only had to pay $.18 for the ICANN fees..

My hosting is month to month and i can cancel it at the end of this month.

Id like a somewhat detailed explanation so if i ever have a client ask, i can explain it with a better explanation than "the guys on a forum i use said so"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In the case of GoDaddy, it's because they're a much better registrar than they are a host. Losing an SQL Server database is an unforgivable sin. Even mediocre hosts don't do things like that.

In the case of everyone else, it's because the host registers the domain on your behalf, but retains ownership in the eyes of the registry involved (e.g. ICANN, NeuStar). That means that if you cancel your hosting plan and you want to move the domain elsewhere, the host can decide, "okay, you cancelled, but billyswidgets.com belongs to us since we paid for your domain registration and we let you use it for free, so we're keeping it unless you pay $X for it". X is often quite a bit more than the cost of an annual domain registration. It's a blatant violation of intellectual property rights, but the cost of fighting the battle to get it back renders recovery of said domain a Pyrrhic victory at best, so...just spend the $10-$15 a year and keep the two separate. Consider it an insurance payment against stupidity, and one in which the $10 actually represents solid insurance value.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Thanks for the advice Mare, and Game. I've seen on other posts besides this one where the Game explains the domain through free hosting which I understand but that "free domain" is a catchy thing lol.. Using hostmonster and utilizing their free domains with hosting package, I haven't had any issues with it, but I understand if we were to ever move the domain you would need to purchase it, so my solution is just don't move it lol..

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Can someone explain why it is bad to have both on the same account? I have hosting through godaddy (where i did recieve a free domain with my hosting.. Only had to pay $.18 for the ICANN fees..

My hosting is month to month and i can cancel it at the end of this month.

Id like a somewhat detailed explanation so if i ever have a client ask, i can explain it with a better explanation than "the guys on a forum i use said so"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can tell you nitemares about having your domain on the same account as your hosting company.

We've had many new clients come to us wanting help because their hosting company held their domain hostage and GD is on that list.
    We do NO business with GD and haven't for several years.

We also have a client that just recently got the shaft big time by Namecheap as their Registrar. So now we're having to rethink them as a Registrar too and aren't using them until they fix things with our client, which whom they are ignoring and we expect to see the client file a lawsuit against Namecheap.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Feb 24th, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    GODADDY: I think they're okay. I agree with people here the the fault doesn't lie with Godaddy. However, I will say that it's pretty awkward using them sometimes. One, they force you to have ridiculous passwords that you won't remember. Two, their written help section is absolute ****, with solutions that only work for Linux servers or Windows servers, or pre-2014 Windows servers. Three, no live chat help. However, they are not bad. Load times seem to be good. Clean interface. And my clients who pre-purchased Godaddy hosting all have decent load times for their WP sites. And their telephone support tends to be very good.

6a00d83451b77469e201116887d596970c.jpgDomain registrar and web hosting are separate, but they supplement each other, so it makes sense to have them at the same company. It's like we like peanut butter and we like jelly.... so why not put them together??

PS, I like namecheap.com for domain registration. $10/year domains w $3/year privacy. They also have a newly updated website, so they no longer look like crap.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I also like honey and Frank's Red Hot sauce...we're not going to mix them together, though.

Remove Ads