Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hostgator VPS

Member #
    Liked
    959 times

Hostgator VPS

I hesitate to ask this here on account of the crap responses these questions tend to receive, but I am curious. Has anyone used Hostgator's VPS? I use them for my shared hosting, but I've outgrown its capabilities. I have no issues with the service and servers so far, so I was wondering how the VPS fares.

If anyone has experience with similarly priced hosts, I'm open. Until my project(s) is(are) ready for launch, I'll be going with their lowest unmanaged plan for $20/month. I've seen myhosting.com's plans. They have more/better features for a lower price, but they're a bit of an unknown for me, and I'm a bit wary of the "xyzhostinglist.com" sites, since that's how I landed on webhostinghub some years ago.

Anyway, thoughts?
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Oh I've got some thoughts on this...screw HostGator. Friends don't let friends ever use that company. Ever. For anything. I do not, nor will I ever, recommend those clowns to anyone.

Their VPS hosting, and I've got three clients on it that I'm trying desperately to move off, is absolute dog turd. Try to do any kind of an update on them (because you're responsible for server / OS patches and software upgrades) and you'll knock the entire server out. And of course, it'll be because your sites are overloading the server and you're choking the CPU and even though you're on a VPS and your resources are isolated to you we're going to shut your VPS down because it's affecting other people rather than dealing with the problem. We also have massive bot issues and get DDoSed about every six months, but that's all your fault too. But if you just spend more money on a hardware upgrade it won't be your fault anymore, even though you could get a dedicated server from a real hosting company for the cost of one of our VPS hardware upgrades. DON'T DELAY, ORDER TODAY.

What a horrible, horrible outfit those guys are.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    So, no love for HG VPS, then. Any recommendations?
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    My usual one (Sectorlink) if they'll configure what you need, and they probably will.

www.sectorlink.com

One day I should find out how many customers I've sent their way over the years.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Glad to have read this thread.

I personally don't have a great opinion of Host Gator. I think Game or Webzarus (whatever happened to that guy) used to mention they did not naturally protect against irregular and repeated hits from a single IP (typical brute force behavior). Also, I have a client whose site is on Hostgator and that sucker just is a pain to load.

I myself want to look into VPS, because 2 blogs on my shared server (that I rarely update) get about 10k visits/mo and I can see from my analytics that the load times aren't so great. Would love to try VPS or maybe offer VPS for clients as a premium option.

Also, I want to be a cheapskate and live off shared forever, but I know that DB queries slow down sites and furthermore, Google Ad quality score and rank factors in landing page load times. So definitely a good idea to know scaling options for webhosting.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure what happened to WZ either, but I was the one who noted the bot issue. The client that was using them ended up leaving a few months after that and the problem almost instantly vanished. Go figure.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ya Hostgator has hit rock bottom after being bought out by EIG. We had 4 VPS's with them and just got all of our clients moved over after a 2day outage last week.
    We moved all of our customers to cloudoctane.com Pretty good prices on regular VPS and I think they offer servers with SSD storage also.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I normally wouldn't allow a comment like wiredcom's with the link, but in this case I'm going to make an exception because there is at least one factual element in it which leads me to believe that it's not just a random spammer comment (i.e. the HostGator 2-day outage last week).

http://forums.hostgator.com/network-...o-t316804.html <-- here's HostGator's own report of the outage, including an explanation that doesn't make any sense to me (if the outage was caused by router firmware, it should have affected others using the same router...knowing HostGator's own "update policies" as I do, I find it hard to believe that no one else encountered the firmware bug before HG did).

I also provided a recommendation of my own, so I'm assuming wiredcom, based on his first three posts, simply followed suit. I don't know who cloudoctane.com is but I'm going to leave the link in place because it would be hypocritical of me to remove it based on a new member following my lead and providing a reference to something that requires one to be smarter than the average web bear.

[EDIT: I knew of the outage myself because a pair of my clients were affected by it. They were also affected by the August 2nd and December 31st outages. The only reason they haven't been migrated yet is because they pay for their own hosting and make the decision that way.]

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Thanks for all of the input. I ended up going with asmallorange out of Durham, NC. More server for my money, and based on my research, outages like with HG seem to be rare. Their support is great (from my own experience) as well.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's ultimately the best evaluation you can use. If a host works for you, stick with them. It's hard enough to find a good host these days...most of them are so clued out that I could run a hosting company more effectively than they could (and I'm not a hosting guy).

One word of warning, however. A Small Orange is an EIG host.

Endurance International Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads