Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wiredcom

Thread: Setting Up

PCM
    Member #

Setting Up

Hello, new here.

I need some advice from experts. I have small photography business for myself. I created a WP site and all is well. A good friend wanted a site for their MX park, no problem, I'll do another WP site for them. All is well. Now I got another guy wanting a site for his retail/service business because he liked what I did for me and my buddy. Common story?

Now, I'm very very far from being a web design expert, actually, I know enough to be stupid. I stick to WP and thats about that. So here's my question(s), because this trend may continue, but I want to control it. I don't need the money, I just do it for fun. But before you all start yelling at me for selling myself short, I do charge appropriately because I deal with the same people who give images away for free in the photography world.

I have my own domain and hosting, for my own site.

1. When people ask me to design a site for them, i tell them to go get a domain name. After this, is it typical to point their domain name at my hosting and use an add on, or, is it typical for them to get their own hosting and get their log in details?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I would have them get their own hosting too. That way, they're responsible for it. If they're paying you to be responsible for it (monthly hosting/maintenance payments) that's a different story, and requires a different hosting account. I wouldn't give them space on your own hosting plan, though.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What Ron says, except that where / when possible I try to get them on my server, charge them, and assume responsibility for it. I know the company I like to deal with, I have the server configured properly, and I'm not going to have to worry about downtime issues or tech support reps with their heads up their asses (see EIG hosts).

The one thing about having the site hosted yourself is that you also have some control as to whether or not it stays up. If they don't pay you, you can shut it down. Now, you have to give them the opportunity to back up their stuff, but most people don't take advantage of that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    If you are using shared hosting then I suggest that you let them get their own hosting services that way they won't eat up the space allotted to you. However, if you think this is really going to be a trend then you may want to consider getting a reseller or VPS account that way you can ask them to pay you instead to look/administer/manage their site. If you don't want to do it then just have them pay for their own hosting account just like what you are doing to get site online. Let them pay their fair share

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    +1 for having them get their own domain and host. Wordpress is known for having short comings as far as security, so you may not want to get pinned down trying to take care of a bunch of Wordpress sites.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    DUDE! You did not just speak ill of W*rdPr*ss and its security! No one ever does that around here! Ever. In the history of mankind. On WDF. Ever. Nope. Doesn't happen.

(Yeah, I totally have your back on this one if no one else does. I've been pointing this out for years now and people are just starting to realize what I'm talking about.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads