Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Smile About bilingual blogs

Hi!

As you can see, I'm a newbie. I have a question and I hope you can help me.

I want to start a bilingual blog. But I don't know what platform is the best for that. At first, I was going to go with Blogger (using a domain for one language and a subdomain for the other). Then I thought Wordpress would be better for as it has geotargeting (or whatever is called), and I could have one blog with different folders, so I bought a Bluehost basic plan, but I was told that it will start having problems when it hits 1,500 visitors a day or so. Then I considered Squarespace, but I'm not sure... I don't want a main page with two languages. I already watched the Matt Cutts video on this topic, but I want other opinions...

Obviously it won't have 1,500 visits a month at first, but I hope in some months it does (counting both sites). As I will advertise on some super popular blogs in both languages.

So what's the best IYO? Blogger, Wordpress.org, Squarespace, orther? And is it better to use folders and the geotargeting widget or just a domain and a subdomain? Or different domains (let's say one .com and one .es as it also will be in Spanish)?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jessie5; May 16th, 2014 at 08:40 PM.

Member #
    Well the obvious contestants would be Wordpress and Joomla.
    Personally i prefer Joomla any day of the year, for any project.
    The native Multilanguage capability is awesome.

As for the hosting all you need is an entry lvl plan on any hosting companies...to start of, well.. you better stay away form EIG owned companies.

And as for the domains, i think you should buy the .com and the national domains for each language (if you can). Point them all to the same hosting account and have just one website running.
    For example, lets say that you have 3 domains. .com .es .it , you could point the .es and .it to the .com domain.
    Or , if you have a local business, host the website at the domain of your country of origin (where the business is located) and have the other 2 point to that domain.
    <Signature Here/>

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo f View Post
    Well the obvious contestants would be Wordpress and Joomla.
    Personally i prefer Joomla any day of the year, for any project.
    The native Multilanguage capability is awesome.

As for the hosting all you need is an entry lvl plan on any hosting companies...to start of, well.. you better stay away form EIG owned companies.

And as for the domains, i think you should buy the .com and the national domains for each language (if you can). Point them all to the same hosting account and have just one website running.
    For example, lets say that you have 3 domains. .com .es .it , you could point the .es and .it to the .com domain.
    Or , if you have a local business, host the website at the domain of your country of origin (where the business is located) and have the other 2 point to that domain.

Thank you so much, paulo f!!!!

Remove Ads