Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: File Storage Recommendation?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

File Storage Recommendation?

Hello all,

My business partner and I are looking for a file storage host to launch our site. We started out with, what we thought was a good service, GoDaddy's online file folder but have had nothing but issues. A little information is in order I suppose.

We began our site with the intention of providing a free mirror storage site for Android developers, each developer gets their own "site" with which they can express themselves and allow users to get an insight into their lives. We need to have very minimal ads in the site and cannot charge the developers for the space (most are minors without credit cards and accounts, or simply won't use the site if payment is required). The front end is finished, sites hosted on a vps, etc... But we are unable to use the storage in the manner we had expected.
    We've been shopping around and the one place we've found that absolutely suits our needs is a bit more than we can manage pre-launch. So, I'm hoping that you all may know of a service that does what we're looking for.

We need a large amount of storage, at least 100GB to start, speeds cannot be throttled (this is a must), and we are looking for either no charge for bandwidth, or extremely cheap bandwidth costs. The storage solution that came closest was rackspace, but with the sheer volume of downloads we are expecting (catering to a site with 5M+ members) it would bankrupt is before we really even got off the ground.
    We have a workable solution, but it's not ideal as it relies on other hosts and only allows us to provide the front end. Does anyone know of a service that offers exactly what we're looking for?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's going to be a tall order at any rate, and here's why:

1) Bandwidth is very much a "you get what you pay for" purchase. Cheap bandwidth is usually cheap bandwidth for a reason, as is the case with cheap hosting. The reason is almost never a good one.

2) You're running a cyberlocker of sorts. Most hosting ToSes implicitly forbid this because they use quite a bit of resource and since the files contained within often provide DMCA and other issues. Even though you have a niche market and one that is fairly unlikely to cause lots of hassles uploading illegal and/or objectionable content, the possibility still exists.

The good news in this case is also your bad news i.e. your reality check. You're not going to get 5M+ members right away no matter what you do. I'm not even sure if 5 million Android developers are even out there, and if there are, you realistically need 500 million to have a shot at getting 5 million. That's the nature of membership sites. If you start asking all your friends and relatives and get them to do that in turn and get them to do that in turn, you'll be lucky if you find 50 people initially. These things take a lot of time. The silver lining? You won't need that much bandwidth initially, so it shouldn't be all that much of a concern.

If it were me personally and I didn't already have a server of my own, I'd host the entire idea on a VPS from a reputable provider to test it out and make sure that it works the way it's expected to and upgrade as the site membership grows.
    Stryke_the_Orc likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    That's going to be a tall order at any rate, and here's why:

1) Bandwidth is very much a "you get what you pay for" purchase. Cheap bandwidth is usually cheap bandwidth for a reason, as is the case with cheap hosting. The reason is almost never a good one.

2) You're running a cyberlocker of sorts. Most hosting ToSes implicitly forbid this because they use quite a bit of resource and since the files contained within often provide DMCA and other issues. Even though you have a niche market and one that is fairly unlikely to cause lots of hassles uploading illegal and/or objectionable content, the possibility still exists.

The good news in this case is also your bad news i.e. your reality check. You're not going to get 5M+ members right away no matter what you do. I'm not even sure if 5 million Android developers are even out there, and if there are, you realistically need 500 million to have a shot at getting 5 million. That's the nature of membership sites. If you start asking all your friends and relatives and get them to do that in turn and get them to do that in turn, you'll be lucky if you find 50 people initially. These things take a lot of time. The silver lining? You won't need that much bandwidth initially, so it shouldn't be all that much of a concern.

If it were me personally and I didn't already have a server of my own, I'd host the entire idea on a VPS from a reputable provider to test it out and make sure that it works the way it's expected to and upgrade as the site membership grows.
    Correct, we understand that we get what we pay for and 5M members won't be using this initially.

Our biggest concern isn't the developers themselves but the users of their product. It's not at all uncommon for 300+ people to download a single file within hours of a new release. If we consider that we start with say 10 developers to launch, each capable of supporting multiple devices and with an average file size of 1.3GB, the sheer download numbers will swamp us.

Are you familiar with XDA Developers at all? These are the people we're providing the service to. A double edged sword, I know.

Thank you for your input though, we may try the vps hosting for a short period of time to see how fast (or not) this grows.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Remove Ads