Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Looking for New Hosting

Hey guys, new here.

I've been using webs/freewebs for years and now they no longer allow HTML only mode. I need to make a new website and am looking for (pref. free or trial so I can at least test it out before I buy if possible) another alternative that offers a site manager for html.

I'd rather not have any FTP, MySQL, or pre-made templates/builders... just a host that has a file manager similar to that of what webs and geocities once had.

I'd really appreciate any help.
    Last edited by sarin; Jun 21st, 2014 at 03:05 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I know they offer something, but I'm not sure how it works or how well since I haven't used a website builder since 1996 when I first learned how to build a web page and that was all the university web servers allowed me to do at the time. So I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm just saying it's there as an option.

https://www.sectorlink.com/cloudhosting.php

It's got a 30-day money back guarantee, so there's your effective "free trial".

What kind of site is this for?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's a lot of criticism of 1and1 and some of it's probably justified. You're as big as they are and you're around as long as they have been, you're bound to have screwed up with some customers. It happens.

Here's what I've found about them...they're "not bad". If anything ever happens to Sectorlink, they would serve as a Plan B for me. The support is decent and I haven't noticed any significant issues with downtime, misconfigurations, etc. They also haven't done anything stupid like losing an SQL server database. I'd consider them an "acceptable" choice.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Great, thanks!

Member #
    Hello Sarin,

I would highly recommend python1.com. They are very reliable and support is great.My websites load super fast and they are very affordable.
    Last edited by sonja; Jul 02nd, 2014 at 04:57 PM.

Member #
    Most Web hosting companies (if not all) have website builders.
    If you want to use your own HTML then even better... hosting can be really cheap. I canīt find a reason to use a free hosting (which usually entails something to benefit them).

Maybe i am missing something... here...
    <Signature Here/>

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    If you just want stuff up, I've seen some people using their Google Drive as a webhost for static/html sites. Then they purchase a domain for $1-$15/year and have it forward to their respective site index.html in their Google Drive.

THe other method is to use a blog system like wordpress.com or tumblr.com. Free.

PS, Geocities sucked :P.

Remove Ads