Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Point me toward a web host that fits these criteria?

Member #

Point me toward a web host that fits these criteria?

Quick introduction:

I'm fairly new at coding and I'm looking to set up a website with a friend. I can't host it on my own server, so a web host is my only option. I'm only fourteen, and just registering the domain name is cutting it close on the budget I have to run this thing. It's not gonna make money, it's just for fun. You could call it a "game", though I'm not even sure it's complicated enough to be considered such.

With these circumstances in mind, I'm looking for a free web host that will allow me to set up a simple, one-page site and allow JavaScript, as it's based on jQuery (like I said, I'm new to this, so I don't have a clue as to whether or not all web hosts allow JavaScript). I also need to be able to build this with actual real code words, from a blank template. This is one of the hardest criteria to meet, because most hosts I've found have "designer tools" which are meant to make it easy but they just discombobulate me and they aren't practical for what I'm trying to do here.

I also want to be able to put my registered domain name in the url, either [example.com] or [example.host.com].

-Free
    -Single Page
    -JavaScript/jQuery
    -DIY
    -Domain name

Can anyone point me toward a host that meets these criteria?

Appreciate it. Thanks.

-Renzy

PS I know "Appreciate it. Thanks." is redundant.
    Last edited by RenzySauce; Jul 22nd, 2014 at 02:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Because it's downloaded and run on the client's browser, JavaScript will run on any host. I don't know that any free hosts are better than any other, possibly because I've never bothered.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Some web hosts won't allow JavaScript for security reasons, especially free ones. Like Ronald said, the host doesn't need to "support" it server-side, as it's a client-side language.

Free web hosts also typically suck, plaster ads all over your site, or do something you don't like so they can make money somehow. You're the product on a free service like that.

If you *really* can't afford like $3-5 a month on a cheapo web hosting plan...

Your best bet might be asking around on a forum like this (not sure if this is against the rules) and see if you can exchange a simple free hosting plan for a link back on your site or something. A lot of us probably have extra space on a server that they could put a small, simple site up without it being a big deal.

For someone to agree to this, you'd need to do a better job of explaining what exactly your site does, including screenshots, sample files, whatever. Otherwise most wouldn't even bother taking the risk of hosting a mystery site on their server.

If that doesn't work, you could technically host it from your computer at home (assuming internet is already paid for, it'll be "free"). Depending on your ISP, they may not be too happy about it though. You also should probably get a static IP address too, which might cost extra (probably more expensive than just buying a real hosting account).

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Have you looked at http://www,frixelsolutions.com? Thats where I host some of my stuff, their smallest package is 4.99/mo. I would just recommend you don't go with someone like godaddy, every time I have contacted them for anything support takes days​.
    Hey you! Go make something!

Remove Ads