Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Help

Member #

Help

I'm a newby to the forum, have just set up my company and am having a nightmare to say least trying to build a web and database. I joined 1and1 to make my web site but then learned I would need a database also(as you can tell I'm not pc literate) Is there anyone one on here that could help or offer advice

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Alot of us can help and offer advice. A lot of us can also do it for you, just NOT FOR FREE. Just getting that out of the way before any confusion.

What is your question exactly? Do you want help with figuring out how to setup a database and do it yourself or are you looking for someone to hire to do the work for you?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's kind of an odd thing to say. Most people don't start off by trying to build something and then suddenly realizing they need a database. In fact, most sites technically don't need a database as such. It can, in conjunction with the right server-side programming, make life easier and more efficient. But it's not a "need" as such.

So...I guess my question is "what are you trying to build?"
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    My guess is he just got a hosting plan and is trying to setup a wordpress install, in that case, he can either see if said hosting company has softaculous, or just setup the db through the cpanel wizard.
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Sorry for the delay, I'm planning a web page for people to buy from, and also need a database attached, ie keeping stock up to date on the site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    In that case, you could use a product like wordpress+woocommerce that way you have a cms for everything from a blog to an about page, while still having the shop. If you need any help getting stuff setup, you can email me at matt@notelek.com and I'll help configure the server for you.

Member #
    I've already got 2 domain names, I think one is tied down to 1and1, the other got registered with ukplc, as you can tell I'm a more hands on person, the site is the only thing that's holding me back now

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    no worries , anyway, could you check and see if 1and1 has a thing called softaculous? If they do, It'll be somewhere near the front of the control panel.

Member #
    No there's nothing on there called softalicious mate?

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    No worries, softaculous just makes the process a bit easier.

(step 1) You should see something that says MySQL Wizard, or something like it, all you have to do is make a new database and user, the wizard should guide you through that.

(step 2) Then find a button that says FTP Accounts and make a new one so you can connect in the next step. (note) these panels are movable, yours might not be in the same position.

(step 3) Download filezilla here, and input the ftp credentials you just made.

(step 4) Go to wordpress.org, and download the latest version (should be 3.9.2)

(step 5) Open the zip file, and drag it into the part of filezilla that is highlighted in the picture. (make sure that you are connected, and if stuff is already in the highlighted window, look for a public_html, or www directory, it should be mostly empty)

(step 6) Visit your website, it should show a wordpress setup screen, it will ask for your mysql db, username (not your username), and password (leave the host to localhost). Then it will ask for your desired admin credentials. When all is said and done, you should be able to visit your website, and see something different than the setup screen (I think the default theme is pretty ugly so you might want to change that)

(step 7) You can login to your site at yourdomain.com/wp-admin, once your in, go to the plugins page, click add new, and search for woocommerce, from there it should be smooth sailing.

This tutorial is assuming that your host (1&1) is using cpanel, if he is not, send me a picture, or email me and I can help more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Noteleklabs; Aug 21st, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

Remove Ads