Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: FatCow Reseller Program

Member #

FatCow Reseller Program

Hello there,

I am new to this board and to web design itself. I have designed a couple of websites for myself and for a few friends and family.

I recently started up a computer consulting business and am considering adding Web Design to the portfollio but I have a few questions.

1) I host my own website with Fatcow and have been pleased so far with their products. I know how to use their design tools. Does anyone know about their reseller program and if so, what are the pros and cons about handling clients through them.

2) If I don't go through the reseller option, what would be the recommended way of setting up a clients webpage. Do I take their credit card info and do the domain registration and hosting plan for them (my son did not get what I recommended when I let him do it himself and ended up paying more so I am hestitent just letting them do whatever)

Any info would be greatly appreciate as I am a newbie to designing webpages for people for income :-)

Thanks,

Jamie
    The Techno Tutor

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Welcome, Jamie!

Usually a newbie question like this doesn't have a simple answer, but in this case, it does: don't. FatCow is a part of the EIG group of hosts, and EIG is basically the WalMart of web hosts, if WalMart decided to stop washing the floors, shut its doors at random and unpredictable points in time, and only sold products manufactured by inmates as a prison revenue generating tool.

Endurance International Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're satisfied so far, and it's because you're new. There isn't anything wrong with that from your point of view. I went through about 5-6 hosts before I found the host I stick with (www.sectorlink.com). You're supposed to be satisfied "so far", but your real acid test will come when stuff goes terribly, terribly wrong and you need answers about 5 minutes ago.

As you'll see from some of the articles I've linked to, EIG handles this sort of things horribly.

HostGator Down along with other EIG Hosts causes Web Hysteria - Adam Yamada
    Major Downtime for Bluehost, HostMonster, & HostGator | How to Get Online
    EIG Brands BlueHost, JustHots HostGator outage on December 31 2013

These are the three big outages of the past year. I believe there were others.

Another thing I'd suggest is "keep the computer consulting business as your primary form of income". Do the web stuff on the side. There are quite a few more people that could use a good on-call geek type than there are that could use a web designer. If they want it as an add-on, great. If not, at least you've got the geek stuff.

Finally, an answer as far as how to resell hosting. You can do it one of two ways:

1) Through a reseller account. It's usually a hosting account with a cPanel or some other control panel that will allow you to split it up among your customers.
    2) Through a multi-domain account, VPS, or dedicated server. You basically buy one hosting plan and then you split it up as needed.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the quick response. I will check out the host you recommended. I have no idea what is entailed in moving hosts but might look into it.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hey Game, how does Sectorlink's reseller cloud work? If I paid for the Reseller Cloud, which is what I assume you would want to do, then have the client provide me with a domain name, that they purchase and then I add their domain to my unlimited websites?

I have been using EIG's Hostmonster for many years, and never had or noticed any issues. I joined their affiliate program a few years back so I also make money for every signup which is the route I usually go with each of my clients. But if there is a better way then I am all ears, though it is a little intimidating taking that jump due to being with Hostmonster for so long knowing where everything is and how it all works.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Fireproofgfx: not sure. I have a Windows dedicated server so my setup's different than most. The way I do it is that the client purchases the domain name and I add it to DNS through a custom website application they have and then set up the site itself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    The reseller with sector link isn't available until next month.. Ive been watching it for awhile now. From what i have gathered you host your clients but they each get their own cpanel. The client has access to the cpanel as if it was their hosting account. If you contact them they respond to you pretty quickly so just ask them any questions you have

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Thanks guys, I will have to look into this. Maybe I will switch.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    No problem.. Fill me in on any info you find.. Im considering the same.. I plan to switch and get away from GoDaddy just haven't had time to do enough research to come up with a choice.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Remove Ads