Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Small Business Website Hosting Question--Who?

Member #

Small Business Website Hosting Question--Who?

We are getting our first website up and going............right now a buddy has been hosting our emails and domain name and does not want to any more. He is suggesting Host Gator. Is this the way to go? I hear this that web hosters like Host Gator and GoDaddy have hundreds of websites on one IP address and this could cause me lots of trouble.

Additional question: Does anyone have any experience using aglobetech.com to design a website?

thanks,

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I don't recommend hostgator it's an EIG company. They own a lot of companies, HostGator being one of their more recent acquisitions, after that HG started going downhill :'( Used to be good!
    TheGAME1264 and MitchTalmadge like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not convinced HostGator was ever "good". They always were the Amazon of hosts...a company that grew big as the result of an army of affiliate shills and economics of scale without much to ever back it up. However, noodles is absolutely right in that their acquisition as part of the group of "brands" in the Endurance International Group conglomerate of low-grade hosting led to a downturn in service. HostGator has gone down four times in the last 13 months alone that I personally am aware of.

1) Network Issues Cause HostGator, Bluehost and HostMonster Provo Data Center Outage - Web Host Industry Review
    2) Bluehost, HostGator Among EIG Brands Hit by Massive New Year's Eve Outage - Web Host Industry Review <-- had to spend part of my New Year's Eve dealing with this nonsense.
    3) http://forums.hostgator.com/network-...-t316804.html? <-- right from the horse's mouth.
    4) http://forums.hostgator.com/network-...c-t319596.html

I've migrated all but one of my customers over to Sectorlink as a result, and the one customer just doesn't want to move because it's convenient to stay.

GoDaddy? They lost an SQL Server database that I had created for a client. That's an unforgivable hosting sin. You can have hard drive issues. You can lose files or have them go corrupt. Databases and data servers? You back them up and you make sure that the data is protected. I don't know how they did it, and I don't even want to know, but they lost it and couldn't get it back.

As far as hundreds of sites on one IP....there are two possible answers to this question. Hundreds of sites on an IP won't cause a problem from the SEO point of view, which is what I suspect you're referring to. IPv4 IPs are finite and running out quickly, and that rumor really needs to get put to bed. Hundreds of sites on a server can cause non-SEO issues (sites you don't control using up excessive resource on a shared server) which in turn lead to SEO issues (page load time, for example). If you're looking at a shared hosting plan, however, there's absolutely no getting around it...if you're paying $5.00 a month to a host for a portion of a server, that host is going to put at least 50 other sites on the same server to try and make money. Your ideal option is a dedicated server. Your next best option is a VPS.

Never heard of Aglobetech before. Here's a trick I always try when I haven't heard of someone before, though...I Google their address.

Here's some of the things that come up.

MSI Laboratory Services
    flowing-rivers-
    Artificial Grass Xeriscape, Synthetic Turf - Wakasa Construction & Landscaping - Houston, Tx
    http://www.ipi-site.com/contact-us/

And most importantly:

https://plus.google.com/102610928516...ut?gl=ca&hl=en

In other words, the address is a mailing address only. It's not a physical address. This is not a be-all and end-all as far as whether or not a company or individual is legitimate...many web designers/developers work from home and reveal their addresses to clients only (I do this). However, this doesn't sit well when combined with this (note the first paragraph):

Aglobetech
    Maximus: Web Design, Website Design and Development
    Professional Website Design Company Affordable Custom BEST website design <-- had to use a Google cache here. The site has been suspended.
    Website Designing | Webkraft Solutions
    Professional Website Design Services, Web Development, PHP MySql Application development,

Here's the Google query I used, in case you want to see this for yourself. I attempted to find a "statistically improbable phrase", as the ultra-awesome Jonathan Bailey has named it.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22is...able+costs.%22

Here's what I believe is going on, although I can't prove it...this is an offshore firm pretending to be an American firm. There are certain spelling and grammatical idiosyncracies that are specific to South/Southeast Asia (e.g. "Web Designing", "Logo Designing", "Flash Designing"). If you're looking to have something designed and developed, we have some talented people such as Ronald Roe, Fireproofgfx, AlphaMare, and several others. If I'd recommend them, they won't blow smoke up your *** either. If they do, they know I'll be watching and they know what I do to designers/developers who don't act right.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Since The Game has already dug out the technical data I simply took a look at their website. aglobetech appears to be a relatively new site. They make a lot of claims showing nothing to back up those claims, talk a lot about themselves with way too many cliches, and with very little thought toward the consumer – an example of bad copywriting and worse SEO. Even without The Games information I would not be interested in going any further.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I like my name in italics. Makes me feel important.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I used HostGator, and they has proved to be disaster for me. One of my clients website had been down for 2 days and all they said that the site is under DNS propagation.
    On the other hand, I have no clues about algobetech , this might be due to popularity :|
    I am using IX Web Hosting , it has good software and pricing ! You can try them if you are still in search of a good host.
    Thank you

Member #
    Depends on the budget you have. Less than 80$/m budget, you have to share with IP with them. If you have limited budget, Bluehost is the best choice for you for simple reason: it is the best host for WordPress. With the wordpess, you can easily manage your small business for marketing, promotion, inventory control, and even small e-business since so many people develop all kinds of plug-in in this. If you have limited time to know wordpress, you can order the bluehost host plan 3.49$/M through: Home - Buildingwebsitefree.com, they can do everything for you and train you the expert to SEO through wordpress plugins with no effort.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by webbuildingfree View Post
    Depends on the budget you have. Less than 80$/m budget, you have to share with IP with them. If you have limited budget, Bluehost is the best choice for you for simple reason: it is the best host for WordPress. With the wordpess, you can easily manage your small business for marketing, promotion, inventory control, and even small e-business since so many people develop all kinds of plug-in in this. If you have limited time to know wordpress, you can order the bluehost host plan 3.49$/M through: Home - Buildingwebsitefree.com, they can do everything for you and train you the expert to SEO through wordpress plugins with no effort.
    Again second time today resurrecting old posts. And again bluehost is EIG therefor its crap.
    Nice wordpress theme by the way... If I were to take a wild guess I would say you are from India just like 12,549,755 other people like you throwing out useless spammy posts on this forum. Its getting rather tiring.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    I think Go-daddy,Host Gator are the best for web hosting in small business.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is a test question: why, Puneet? Please explain in your own words using your own experiences.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads