Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Is it a bad idea to start with a free website?

I am new to web development and have some beginner questions I hope you can help with.

I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to build my website on a free host and move it to my own domain once I've finished setting it up. Main reasoning for me is, as a beginner, I am not sure I will be happy with what I build the first time (or even first few times,) and I feel it will be easier to scrap the bad ones, and keep the good one(s) once they're semi-polished. I do not intend to keep it on someone else's domain for very long, would likely be starting on wordpress, and once the website is complete, moving it to my own domain.

Any thoughts, suggestions or criticism is very welcome.

As I said, I'm very much a beginner, so any tips you have that I may have missed would be great.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You can set up a free account with wordpress and do this sort of thing if you want. If you plan to build wordpress sites this is probably your best bet. Be sure and actually build your own aite though. Taking a theme and doing a little tweaking isnt what most of us would consider "building a site"

If you do not plan to use wordpress and want to build from scratch you dont necessarily need a free account either. You could use mamp/wamp to host local files on your own machine.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The only thing that I can say is that there are major drawbacks of free web hosting. All you can do is, spend some bucks on some cheap and affordable web hosting plans to save your website from spammy advertisement. Also most of the free hosting services don't let you do scripting like PHP and they do not give you FTP access too.
    Just think before taking any step.

Remove Ads