Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

If I don't renew my Domain for a period, does the ownership change?

Hi!

Say, If I buy a Domain now but after a couple of years, depending on how the venture goes, I don't renew my Domain and then after a gap I again want to renew my Domain. What happens in such cases? - Is my ownership lost?
    Just trying to understand this.

Thanks,
    Monirupa

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Monirupa View Post
    Hi!

Say, If I buy a Domain now but after a couple of years, depending on how the venture goes, I don't renew my Domain and then after a gap I again want to renew my Domain. What happens in such cases? - Is my ownership lost?
    Just trying to understand this.

Thanks,
    Monirupa
    When your domain expires and after a grace period of about 30 days your domain will go back into the pool and anyone can buy it if you don't renew it. If it was possibly a top level domain someone was wanting after you didn't renew it consider it gone from you. Sometimes a registrar, and that depends on your registrar, they'll hold on to it and change you a high price to renew it or put it up for sale or auction.

My suggestion would be if things didn't work for you with the domain is to renew it for a couple of years to make sure you're not going to use the domain again.

That's being called being safe and not losing your domain.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You never bought the domain. The domain name is rented out to you for an annual fee. Like bleau said, once the grace period is up the domain name goes back on the market. The chances of you being able to get the domain name agains after the grace period depends on if that domain name is picked up by someone else or not. It could be available for only 10minuted after or could be 10years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads