Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: First website

Member #

First website

I am currently looking to make my first website for my small business

I dont really understand all that much about it

I have looked at 123 reg where it says i can buy a domain for 6.99 a year and build a free 2 page website

Is their any hidden costs involved or can it be as cheap and simple as that?

Any help, replies would be much appreciated

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I am currently looking to make my first website for my small business

I dont really understand all that much about it

I have looked at 123 reg where it says i can buy a domain for 6.99 a year and build a free 2 page website

Is their any hidden costs involved or can it be as cheap and simple as that?

Any help, replies would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Welcome to the community.

My first word of advice to you is to buy your domain from a domain registrar and not a host and never have your domain with a host that you have hosting your website.

If you buy a domain from a registrar that also does hosting then get your hosting from a hosting company other than your domain registrar.

What kind of website are you wanting? There are better alternatives to building your first website than what 123reg is offering.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Hello,

I would recommend purchasing your domain at a reputable domain registrar and hosting as well. This may or may not be the same provider. If you only need basic hosting then you have numerous options. First you will need to decide on your domain name and ensure it is available. Here is a few steps I use as I start my new sites:

- First of all you need hosting. You must have a hosting account to store all of your website files. several to chose from. This in my opinion is much more important then whom you buy your domain name from. Bad hosting (downtime, slow loading, poor customer assistance) will hurt your business and make YOU go crazy. Trust me....Purchase your hosting account to your needs, dont go crazy as most good providers will allow you to upgrade your hosting account whenever you want (more capacity, faster server, stand alone as compared to shared,ect)

- Selecting a domain name: I use domainnamesez com (free site) to quickly search all available domain names, see if your desired name is available and the lowest price. Just start typing in the search box and you will see if it is available or not. Then use the domain registrar tabs at the bottom to see who has the lowest price. Not all providers are listed, but the normal good ones are.

- after you purchase your domain then you must set your nameservers to point to your hosting provider if you did not purchase a domain when you purchased hosting. Very easy and i can help if you message me. This is changing two items and then your domain will be directed to your hosting provider account.

- you would then log into your hosting account cpanel if this is an addon domain.

- install your content management system (CMS) wordpress, ect.

- you would then be able to start working on your site.

this is the basic (very basic) idea to get you going. Again, message me for specifics and I will assist!

I should mention that I am a wordpress guy so if your using other CMS i may not be of much help.

I also do SEO and can give you some pointers there too.

Thanks,
    Don

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    I'll say again, never purchase your domain from a hosting company that you're going to host with. If you and the host decide you don't like each other anymore and you want to move, or they go out of business and a lot of other if's you are sunk if they don't want to cough up your domain and give it to you.

Always purchase your domain from an ICANN certifed registrar and you're protected and then get your hosting with another company. YOU are in control of your domain then not the hosting company.

The same applies for a free domain with a hosting company. They own your domain not you.

I've had several bad experiences with our clients trying to get their domains away from hosting companies that didn't won't to release it. Some of our clients had to pay a host several $100 dollars to the host for the host to release it to them.

Be safe, purchase your domain from a reputable registrar and host with a hosting company not a host-registrar.

Take a look at Namecheap, seems to be the most popular registrar now with good prices. There are also several more excellent registrars. We have 100's of clients that use Namecheap, Godaddy, internetbs, and several others. Most of our corporate clients use Moniker.
    cheers! , the weekend is almost here, for most folks
    Last edited by bleau canon; Sep 03rd, 2015 at 11:41 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Tommy, I think if you do what you are talking about you will regret it. Listen to Bleau Canon. She knows what she is talking about and I agree. DO NOT get your hosting and domain from the same company. It might be OK if it is one of the bigger companies like GoDaddy or HostGator but you can end up with your site being held hostage. I had it happen to me with one site.

For domains I would suggest looking at GoDaddy, NameCheap or perhaps HostGator.

For hosting Bleau Canon posted about a good cheap hosting company in the thread "What People tell me about WordPress". Also many hosting companies have a site builder they offer or you could look at WordPress as a platform for your site. Square space or Wix might be other options to consider but get your domain name where you don't have your hosting.

Remove Ads