Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: do it yourself webhosting resources

Member #

do it yourself webhosting resources

Can't seem to find what I'm looking for in google searches. My thought: I want to buy a domain name and host a rather simple website myself. My problem I can't get from point a Buying a domain name to point b how to host it. This can't be unheard of. Recommended how to resources are welcome!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

do it yourself webhosting resources

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowprogramer View Post
    Can't seem to find what I'm looking for in google searches. My thought: I want to buy a domain name and host a rather simple website myself. My problem I can't get from point a Buying a domain name to point b how to host it. This can't be unheard of. Recommended how to resources are welcome!
    Well have you purchased any of it yet? If you buy a domain name and hosting plan from the same place it will usually already be done for you. This isn't always the smartest idea, but it is the easiest. If you get them from separate places then you will need to use your DNS settings. Its not that much more complicated. You basically tell your domain name to forward to your hosting accounts IP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Vapr_Arts; Oct 30th, 2015 at 09:00 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    DNS settings, Vapr_Arts.

Here's a simple tutorial for you. Web Developer 101: Buying and Setting Up a Domain Name
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    DNS settings, Vapr_Arts.

Here's a simple tutorial for you. Web Developer 101: Buying and Setting Up a Domain Name
    I don't know what you're talking about. haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Nice work, brother!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #

no not really, I want to host it myself, to be the host

Now that I think of it I think I need to download some software comparable to xampp or wampp or lampp for post development. Ha answered my own question. now the only thing is what is the proper software and is it available open source. Anybody?

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowprogramer View Post
    Now that I think of it I think I need to download some software comparable to xampp or wampp or lampp for post development. Ha answered my own question. now the only thing is what is the proper software and is it available open source. Anybody?

If you're thinking about hosting on your home computer then you may be opening up a can of worms with your isp. Better check with them first.
    brandMatt likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    I really want to get some hands experience with this... should I check options that my isp offers for businesses? I don't foresee needing a ton of bandwidth for a site geared toward maybe 100 peeps with an average of two views per month at the very very most.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    If the site is important, I'd have a website hosting company handle it for you. For learning purposes use a dummy site to host on your own.

We were playing with the idea of getting our own server to host our own creations. Just the cost of power coupled with the cost of a dedicated internet service for it, makes it way cheaper to have a hosting company do the job.

The process of buying a domain name and pointing it to any server really is not that complicated.
    Last edited by brandMatt; Nov 09th, 2015 at 08:42 AM.

Member #
    k thanks. I guess that is the way to go. I'm not hip on paying subscriptions, but if they wind up saving you money, I suppose its not so bad, worth it even. ok I know of a hosting company based in the town I live in, that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks! Shameless praise for GoDaddy in cedar rapids, IA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads