Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Wink First Website Hosting Help

Introduction:
    Hello everyone, I'm a little new so sorry if I'm not following the community format or those "secret" community rules.

Question:
    So, I've been working with wikispaces for my entire life and I'm ready to move forward in terms of website development. I understand html, css, and the majority of website coding languages (other than the database ones) but I'm confused how hosting and uploading files works. I don't understand how I'm able to build a website and "upload" it somewhere. Should I use a site builder? I'm looking to build a gaming website as well for flash and mobile games, something just like my personal wikispace. I guess I should just ask where do I get started?

Personal Website:
    https://www.yetigames,wikispaces.com

Main question(s):
    How does hosting work and what is it?
    How do I upload a website?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Let me ask you this, do you know how the internet works? A lot of people think they do, but are misinformed.

Im going to make this super simple. If you want more details you need to do some reading on your own.

Basically, a host has a set of servers that are connected to the internet. You know/understand what an IP Address is right? Well your host has an IP Address that is pointing at a folder. If you put your site into that folder (or more accurately, that directory) you can use the IP Address that points to it to view whats inside.

For example, if you go to

http://74.125.224.72/

you will find a website. You probably know the website and have already visited once or twice by using its Domain name. The domain name is the "google.com" portion of a site. (Side note: the ".com" is called a TLD)

The reason you can go to the site by using the IP Address or the domain name is because aside from hosting, you will need a domain name. That domain name will get pointed to the IP Address which points to the website.

If you need more detail you can use Google.

As far as how to upload it is concerned you have roughly 2 options. You may use a built in feature on your hosting account that you will drag/drop or upload the files into the directory.

The more common way of doing this though is through FTP for most of us. Its just easier in my opinion. Using something like FileZilla you can connect to your server and upload/download files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Thank you so much! This information definitely helped me.

Remove Ads