Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Domain Redirecting

Member #

Post Domain Redirecting

Okay, my question is probably a bit strange, but I'm really hoping that somebody can help me out here. I'm at my wit's end!

I have two different servers - one ending in .com and the other one in .net. My .com server does not allow .php files. It can handle PHP coding just fine, but they do not allow FTP access to the server nor .php files to be uploaded.

My .net server DOES allow both FTP access and .php files to be uploaded. That is the entire reason we have the second server. Now, up until recently that wasn't a problem. My company placed the files on the .net server, and our hosting company had everything set up so that our .net server could be accessed by going to the .com - mywebsite.com/file was treated the same was mywebsite.net/file.

Then they updated the server from Windows 2003 to a more recent server.

Now, all those settings are out the window, and all of my .net files are no longer accessible via .com . . . and my company's website is totally screwed up.

Is there any way to force Atlanta's Affordable IT Solution | Atlanta IT Support | Millennium Solutions Inc to be treated as though it was mywebsite.com/file? When somebody points their browser to mywebsite.com/file, I want mywebsite.net/file to come up.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A bit strange? The way Steven Avery talks in Making a Murderer is a bit strange. What you're describing is downright bizarre.

First of all, there should be and is no difference between hosting PHP files on a .com or .net domain under normal (translation: 999,999,999 out of every 1,000,000,000) circumstances. What your host is doing to you is excessively and ridiculously complex and shouldn't be the case.

Second, most hosts will allow you to host multiple domains on one account. Even if you didn't, your registrar (the place where you bought the domain) will usually allow you to redirect one to the other.

Third, Windows retired support for Windows Server 2003 last year...why are they updating it now? (Or at least why is this an issue now.)

Fourth: Windows servers, particularly later ones, can host PHP sites pretty well...but are much better suited for their own technologies (read: ASP.net and ASP).

I'll give you a solution that seems trite but will save you ton of headache: drop that Atlanta IT company and either forward your .com to your .net domain or find a host that will allow you to host/point multiple domains on one account. If I remember correctly, www.sectorlink.com will let you do that on their low-end cloud hosting account...but I'm not saying that for sure because I have a server with them so my needs are different than yours. If anything, tell them or another host what you want to do and they'll tell you how to do it.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Yea that does seem very crazy. Games suggestion to drop your host is going to save you a lot of headache. If they are being this difficult with something that should be extremely simple, has me worried for you once you come to a complex situation. Drop that host and run as far and fast as possible.

I do not know anything about Windows servers but the game is our resident expert on anything Windows so again, I'd trust his word. I can say though that this is by no means a Windows/Linux issue but an issue with your host.

If you work for a company and don't have the authority to just get up and change the host I'd suggest at the least talking to that person and maybe even allowing them to see what has already been said. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Unfortunately, that is not currently an option. My host - Network Solutions - handles everything for our company, including our shopping cart and other ecommerce details.

I am working on convincing the owner to switch, but at the moment I just need a quick fix.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Do you have access to the dns? One way I can think of is just point 2 domains to the same host. This may not be the best way though. You could also use an htaccess to redirect the site. Honestly I am unfamiliar with how to do it most efficiently, i know that in class we did it using htaccess but looking back on how bad the class was that may have been just another example of the bad advice we got from the teacher.

Like I said, id talk to the person in charge and explain to them that the host is literally taking advantage of your inexperience. Aside from the headache it causes I feel like it shows the character of the host and how unreliable and untrusting they could be.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by allieyco View Post
    Unfortunately, that is not currently an option. My host - Network Solutions - handles everything for our company, including our shopping cart and other ecommerce details.

I am working on convincing the owner to switch, but at the moment I just need a quick fix.
    If Network Solutions is your host, they're also your registrar...which puts them in a position to fix your problem very easily if they wanted to. They're also a "premium" company (translation: you end up overpaying by 3-5x for most services). This is something they should be able to solve quickly and easily.

Personally, I'd raise a big stink.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LaunchFocus View Post
    We recommend a nice cPanel for you to manage your website. Launch Focus provides affordable website hosting with cPanel for businesses and individuals, we are available at all times to suit your needs. If you need website development, graphic design, or hosting, please check us out and give us a try. It seems like you are lacking a good server for your online expenditures.
    You didn't read much did you? He can't switch servers so there is no need to try and sell him on your company.

Remove Ads