Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

How do get a VPS as cheaply as possible?

I pay $30 currently for my VPS, but it has so many extras I do not need.

Is there a way to get a VPS that allows me to NOT use cPanel and use some other 'panel' like one of the free ones? I'm just trying to find a way to host all of my clients websites as cheaply as possible, and I am trying to look into SSD hosting for speed, but I don't really know what I should do, or how I should do it.

Like which company? Which cPanel replacement is best? etc etc

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You could forget the cpanel altogether and learn how to use a command line. Unmanaged vps tend to be cheaper. Personally if you're only spending $30 thats not bad already. I don't know of any reliable hosting company with a vps hosting plan cheaper than $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, if you're looking for a VPS or any other hosting based solely on price, you're doing it wrong. Search based on value, not price. What's the difference? The difference is that price is what something costs and value is what something is worth. You maximize the value within a budget.

Second, if you want SSD hosting for speed, you won't get a $30 VPS for the simple reason that SSD drives are exensive in comparison to their SATA counterparts. You can have cheap and good, fast and good, or cheap and fast at most...you don't get all three, and you may not even get two of the three.

If you want a cheaper hosting plan that's still good, then the way to go might be to avoid VPS completely. Go with something like the Unlimited Cloud at Sectorlink:

https://www.sectorlink.com/cloudwebh...mpletefeatures

You can host as many sites as you feel like without the cPanel setup. You do it using the Sectorlink control panel, which takes some getting used to but I find is much easier overall than cPanel simply because they remove a lot of the cPanelesque bloat. Now, you don't get root access with it, but if you don't need it then you're fine. As far as I know, and you'd have to ask them for sure, they're using SATA hard drives in their servers...but if you build stuff properly, it won't make much difference.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    What do you guys think of this in terms of value, price, and reliability? It's SSD and not expensive, contrary to previous posts. Am i missing something about these guys? I am also looking for a semi managed CentOS where I can install my own free version of cPanel, like VestaCP, Kloxo, or Zpanel.

Basically I need to have root access for SSL and memory configurations, and I need the speed of a VPS, SSD or not.

Right now I have Hostmonster VPS and I pay $360 a year, then I pay for dedicated IP addresses for 3 sites, and SSL for those 3 separately using Cheapsslsecurity.com.

Right now if I was to sign up a new client to build a fast, SSL based site I would need a VPS at minimum, so I am looking for a good solution to these problems. I don't want to charge $400 per year for every client. I also don't want to do shared hosting.

I found that OVH site, but it seems to good to be true.

I also found something called Linode, but I am not sure exactly what I would need to supply them, as they seem to be too cheap as well.

Thanks for the answers though, they really helped.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Try Digital Ocean. You can start at $5 pe rmonth and customize/manage your own server.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay...I'm not sure why you'd need to build an "SSL based site" for a new client. Most clients, if they even require an SSL, certainly don't require it for the entire site. Even if you're building something along the lines of an e-commerce site where certain data must be encrypted, that doesn't apply to the entire site. Yes, I know about SSL site usage as a weak Google ranking signal, but that's not really a sufficient reason. Even if you did, you shouldn't need a VPS just for it. A good VPS should be able to handle it and multiple others.

Since you want to install your own control panel, you've pretty much talked yourself into root access, so you're right: shared hosting won't work. That puts you in that minimum $30/month market for something good. HostMonster is one of the few hosts on WDF that has a truly polarized base of opinion. A few of the smart people such as Fireproofgfx use it and like it, so that's a plus. On the other hand, they're part of the EIG brand list below:

As Full As Possible List of EIG Companies and Brands With Details (Beware EIG Hosting!)

Some of us (myself among them) have had experience with at least one of the EIG brands and would rather jump off a cliff and land in an ocean of rusty razor blades than deal with another EIG host. I presently deal with a client who uses HostGator and have migrated five clients away from them; I've also dealt with iPage, iPower, PowWeb, BlueHost, and Netfirms in the past with varying degrees of misery.

Here's what I'm going to tell you: if you find a host that works for you and gives you the resource you need at or below a price point that you can afford, you stick with them. You don't move unless you absolutely have to...and by "have to", your host either has to shut down suddenly or catch fire (and you took regular backups, didn't you?) If HostMonster provides you with the service you need at the $30 price point you're comfortable with, stay put. I've stuck with Sectorlink for nearly 14 years even though I've seen "cheaper" hosting offers, and I do shop regularly just to make sure. Usually I found the "cheaper" offers ended up costing me more by the time I wanted to customize my box to my specs, and the ones that were the same or less were from companies that I knew didn't have the service skills. Hosting is one of those areas we as designers and (in my case) developers should never, ever screw around with, and playing the "race to the bottom" game only messes us all up. Set a reasonable budget for it, do the exact opposite of what we're supposed to do and try to max the budget out and by extension your resource for it, and keep doing it. Without reliable hosts, we're screwed.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    OVH, *are* too good to be true. They're great if you just want a game server and are okay with a few hours downtime every month, or the occasional complete hardware failure. Its not reliable enough for hosting.

Linode are excellent, for the price point. Months where you don't get 100% uptime are generally an exception (and I monitor every 15 minutes.) Without paying $600-month you can't really get any more reliable. Been with them six years.

Remove Ads