Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Web traffic redirection between hosting services and on prem

We have a domain (say, MySite.com) that we host our own website. However, in the process of outsourcing hosting services to other third-party like GoDady or Acquia, when our user hits www.MySite.com/newPages/, how do we show the pages that are hosted on Acquia or GoDaddy? However, if when the user hits www.MySite.com/currentPages/, it shows the pages that we currently host on our servers. Is this possible? If so, how do we go about accomplishing this traffic redirection? Many thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't understand this question at all. If you're "outsourcing hosting services", why are you changing the URL structure? The best thing you can do is to leave it alone, if for no other reason than people who have pages bookmarked can get back to them.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    We're not changing anything. The only thing we changed is outsourcing our site to third party hosting services. The problem is, some sites/pages are still on our on-premise server and some are going to be on the third-party hosting services. However, regardless of which pages the user hits, we want to show it under one domain name e.g. www.mysite.com and not www.new.mysite.com or some other domain or sub-domain.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Your entire premise still makes no sense. Let's say you have www.mysite.com. www.mysite.com will have an IP address associated with it...as in one IP, on one server. That means that all of the pages on www.mysite.com/, including any subfolders, are going to come from that IP on that server. You can't have some on one server and some on another server unless you're getting into some really complex server engineering i.e. some form of a server farm. Since you're asking this question on here, you're clearly not doing that...if you were, you'd have a networking expert to be able to do that sort of thinking for you, and probably a hardcore programmer.

Since you can assign a separate IP to a subdomain, you can have the pages associated with the subdomain on one server and the others on another server. That's possible, and fairly easy to do if you have access to your DNS servers. However, that's generally not something you want to do. If you have a logical reason to do so e.g. your www site is very high traffic and you want to take some of the load off, then there's a potential argument. Other than that, I don't know of a valid one.

From the posts you've made so far, it sounds as though you're either overthinking things or you have no plan as to what what you're trying to do. The simpler you can keep your networking setup, the better. 99.99999% of sites only need one server...and that's if the site is powerful enough and drawing enough traffic to require a dedicated server (most aren't.) So keep it to one server, and as a general rule keep it third-party if the third party is specifically a non-EIG host....meaning they only host websites and they're not part of the EIG umbrella of brands.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads