Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By delstu
  • 1 Post By turboguy

Thread: Should I use Wix.com?

Member #

Should I use Wix.com?

I tried creating websites a few times through wordpress. I want to create nice amazon affiliate websites. I have had so many complications with all of my website though out of the 5 I've created in the past year none are still up. I tried using solely wordpress for hosting and for designing the website and after paying them I found out your not allowed to use wordpress plugins if your hosting with wordpress due to security reasons. Which the plugins were the main reason I even wanted to use wordpress. So I just delete the website and was out my money. It was a bit discouraging but now I want to get back into it and I have always liked Wix.com because its simple and to the point with some pretty nice plugins. I want to be able to focus on desiging my website. So I want to get an opinion from someone who has been there done that. Would I be able to create a good website that will be able to rank in the google search engine just using Wix.com? Or would the put a huge limit on the options I have? If so who would you suggest I use for hosting and such? Thanks so much for any help I really appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    The first thing I have to ask is are you looking for FREE hosting? I cannot recommend going that route no matter where you go.

I know nothing about Wix so cannot comment on them.

Most hosting companies offer a one-click install of Wordpress and do not have the restrictions you found at Wordpress.com. You can install any plug-ins you like, and do as much custom coding as you are able. The highest recommendation I have seen on this forum is for sectorlink.com and I will be using them after I get the content built for another site. There are a few others that are pretty good but a lot that are very bad (especially those owned by EIG http://researchasahobby.com/full-lis...panies-brands/).

Of course the best way is to learn to code your own sites but for most it takes time to learn. I am assuming from your post that you still have a lot to learn.
    Last edited by delstu; Feb 28th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I will agree with delstu. Actually I own stock in Wix so I should say to use them but I don't think that is a good idea. It sounds like you were using wordpress.com when you really should have been using wordpress.org. Basically as was mentioned most every hosting company has a one click install on wordpress and since they use wordpress.org you would have access to all the plug ins and should be able to easily create a nice site that would be portable and allow you do add as many features as you want and use some of the tools such as yoastSEO that would get your site as good a ranking as can be done.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As others have pointed out, what you're looking for is a host that offers a one-click WordPress install. Here's one, and I've been using them for just about 14 years...which is about 168 in web hosting years.

The concern I have is that you want to make "nice Amazon affiliate websites". There aren't a lot of companies I encourage people to avoid on any level, but Amazon has always been one of those companies. They're the world's largest Mickey Mouse outfit. Their APIs are terrible to work with, support is non-existent, they try to squeeze every last bit of "productivity" from their warehouse workers, and they've been hemorrhaging money for years. You'd also have to have an idea of something useful as far as content is concerned and then use something like Amazon (but not Amazon) to make money. If you're planning on "auto-blogging" or "affiliate income marketing", save your time and effort unless it's a learning experience.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    There's a difference between Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org. Don't make that mistake again.

As for hosting options, another one I'd throw out there is Dreamhost. They have free hosting options if you're a nonprofit organization but the regular hosting fees aren't bad either. One-click install of Wordpress, Drupal, Concrete5, etc. You are allowed to install plugins because IT'S YOUR SITE. They will automatically upgrade core Wordpress if it's a security release but will also send you emails to suggest upgrading core when new versions come out.

You even get ssh access so you could get fancy and build code deployment scripts using Rake and Vlad to pull source code from Bitbucket or GitHub. I've used them for a number of clients and have no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads