Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Test website is slow.....will it be faster when online proper?

Member #

Test website is slow.....will it be faster when online proper?

Hey everyone

Ive have a website "online" via dropbox (for testing), and it is quit slow to load pages. Will it speed up once I get it hosted properly, or is it that my pages are to "busy"?

Here is the link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...opy/index.html

Thanx in advance

Member #
    Thinking a couple of the slow loading pages have way too many pictures and video links...so gonna try reducing the number of pics and video....but will mean more pages...and that "next" and "previous" stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Seems pretty quick to me.
    LMNOP likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Loads quickly for me too. You do have a lot of images in your slider but they seem to be optimized for the web and that is your only content on that page so there is nothing else to compete with your images.
    LMNOP likes this.

Member #
    Thanx TheGame1264 and delstu. Good to know it pretty much is working ok. Next thing is to find a host, and make the site a bit more mobile friendly. Cheers

Member #
    took 1 second to load - quite fast

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Please see https://developers.google.com/speed/...tml&tab=mobile

It will tell you all you need to know what Google thinks about your site in terms of speed. There is plenty of room for enhancements!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes it will be much faster even in on a shared hosting account. Most of the use SSD which are faster than standard hard drives. in-motion hosting and bluehost are great options for beginners and shared accounts.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnerJohn121 View Post
    Yes it will be much faster even in on a shared hosting account. Most of the use SSD which are faster than standard hard drives. in-motion hosting and bluehost are great options for beginners and shared accounts.
    Inmotion, Hostgator and Bluehost belong to EIG. I doubt I would send my worst enemy to any hosting company owned by EIG.

Stay far far away from anything associated with EIG.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Jul 06th, 2016 at 08:14 PM.
    TheGAME1264 and delstu like this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's also a little-known problem with SSD that people need to be aware of. The consumer-grade SSDs last "a long time", but that is also highly dependent on the amount of free space remaining on the drive and how frequently it's written to. If you're on a shared host and anyone on it has a site that does a lot of writing to the drive (e.g. database updates, frequent FTP uploads/overrides), that's going to to put wear and tear on that drive and it generally won't last as long as a conventional HD. They're built for speed, not endurance. That may change over time, but it hasn't yet and I wouldn't count on it.

In other words, if you're going to use SSD hosting, make sure you're backing your stuff up regularly. That goes double if you're going to ignore bleau's advice and end up with an EIG host.
    bleau canon and delstu like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads