Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Advise on hosting

Member #

Advise on hosting

So I am in the process of needing a lot of advices here.
    First of all I am in Europe so I need to know what hosting services in the u.s.a can allow me to buy from Europe.
    And also if one of you know any good European hosting services it will be good to tell me.
    I,m looking for hosting especially in Spain but also .com and so on from the U.S.A.
    And can someone please explain to me how the hosting services work nowadays?
    Like I asume that I put in my credit card info to buy the site and then how do I upload?
    Do I get a password or something that allows me to identify from any computer in order to upload things?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Ive used GoDaddy, and regretted it. Ive been using SectorLink since the beginning of this year and so far everything has gone smoothly and without any issues. Its only been 2ish months I know, but I can't say the same thing for the first 2 months I was with GoDaddy. Whatever host you decide on AVOID EIG Hosts! Theres a list online if you google EIG Host List. Majority of the web design community will tell you the same.

Heres how things will work for a shared host. You will need to buy a domain name(the .com), and a hosting plan. It is recommended to do this from 2 separate companies. If you buy them separately you will need to point your domain to your server. This is extremely simple and its usually just a matter of copy/pasting some things into your domains DNS settings. To upload your site you usually have 2 options. Mosts hosts have a way to upload the site from your hosting panel. Depending on the size of your site and how many things you have to upload, this could be a long task. To make the task quicker you can use an FTP client, like FileZilla. On your hosting panel you will either find an FTP account that includes a username and password. Or you may need to create one. This is also pretty simple, its a few buttons clicks and you inputting the username and pw. One thing to make sure is that you put the files in the correct folder. Its usually called "www" or "public".

From there you just wait a few minutes and your site SHOULD be live. Once you get started we can help you better. It may seem difficult or complex when reading it but its extremely simple really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    ok I will need some explanation on this domain dns settings thing
    Like coping paste from where to where?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by galli2016 View Post
    ok I will need some explanation on this domain dns settings thing
    Like coping paste from where to where?
    Do you have the domain and host already? If not its not going to make sense/matter. Get the domain and the hosting plan and I will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    No I don,t but I,m gonna have to make websites for different people.
    What I want to know is is how the hosting process will work in general like how do you buy the website and how do you log in to host.
    Like how will I identify myself to the hosting site that I own a specific domain name do I get a password so I can log in and upload or modify the website or what like it,s a simple questio I don,t understand why is it so hard to understand my question.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I am going to start pretty basic galli. There are two parts to what you need. One is to register the domains you want to have. The other is the hosting account where the domains will be hosted. In other words you are buying space on a computer where the files that display the web site will be stored.

Many people recommend using two different companies. One for hosting and one for the domains. For Domains (getting a name like www.yoursite.com. some of the companies you can use are GoDaddy, NameCheap, Hostgator and many more. Basically you create an account and they will give you a user name or customer number and you use that to log in and manage your domains.

The second part is the hosting. Much like the domains you will get a customer number and you can log into that to manage your hosting accounts. GoDaddy and Hostgator offer web site hosting but most of the people here don't recommend them. You can search though the posts here to see what people are recommending. This has been discussed a lot. One that I have heard good things about is Sectorlink. I haven't tried them yet but may switch a couple of my domains to them to see how I like them.

When you have your domains and hosting set up you will go into the control panel where you have your domains and "point" the domain name to where you hosting account is. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by turboguy; Mar 15th, 2016 at 08:41 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Hostgator is an EIG company now and their services and support have gone down in the toilet. NEVER use an EIG company period. Using an EIG company you'll need to get you a prescription for pain and nerve pills. We've got a new business client and trying to move his site to one of our servers for two days. He sent in a support ticket 7 days ago and has never gotten a response other than a canned one.

Always purchase your domain from a "registrar" and host your website with another hosting company. You have control of your domain name then not the hosting company.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Ok so you recommend sectorlink as a hosting company but now I want to know where to buy the domain and how much will it cost for a domain.
    And I also want to know how the Domain thing work like if you buy it how will you program it into the hosting.
    Man I can,t believe this is 2016 and technology is still so terrible.
    I need to know these steps step by step because i,ll need to educate the people to use it.
    I don,t understand how in 2016 things like this can still be so complicated and why a host cannot take care of your domain.
    So now teach me where and how do I buy a domain
    And also how much they cost.
    And now lets say I want to go with Sectorlink.
    Can I use a .ES host with Sectorlink or does it have to be .com
    Will American Domain resellers only sell.com domains?
    And do one of you know for sure if Sectorlink can work from outsite the U.S:A?
    I need to know Sectorlinks rules because I also found Kvc hosting but theire rules say that you have to be living in the U.S:A and proof that you,re business exists for more then 3 years.
    I am In Spain but here nobody knows anything it,s like living in Latin America here because everybody here is Latin American and getting information on things like this is impossible.
    So I want to know if I can work with hosting from the U.S.A basically from sectorlink and my options for buying a domain that ends with.com or .es

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I have domains registered through at least 3 different companies but for ages now have been using GoDaddy and most everyone is happy with them as a domain registrar. Many complain about the hosting part of their business however. As far as I know there won't be a problem with you using them while based in Spain. They don't seem to have the .ES domains available but you could ask. They do have .MX, .UK, .IT, and other international domains available. Visit their web site at www.GoDaddy.com and you should be fine at least with the .COM.

I recommended Sectorlink because there was a thread here a few months ago where someone mentioned them and a number of people were saying they used them and were very happy with them. I will soon be switching two of my oldest sites to them. Currently I have a number of sites hosted with GoDaddy, some with Radiant (which is the one I want to drop), Cyberlink, Spunky World and Hostways. All have been fine. My two reasons for wanting to drop Radiant are that they are way overpriced and when I called Customer Support yesterday for the first time in 9 years the rep was somewhere between rude and dismissive. Sectorlink seems like a good choice based on the comments I have heard here and I think you will be happy with them if you use them.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but any hosting from any registrar anywhere in the world should work fine with their hosting. Basically the domain is just pointed to their hosting account and I don't think it should matter at all where the registrar is located that is pointing the domain to them. You should be fine using them.
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Get your domain, then get your hosting, then come back and we'll tell you how to point your domain to your host so your site will work.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads