Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Best Hosting Solution for Multi-national website. Cloud V Servers

Hi,

I'm managing a companies website which consists currently of 2 separate installs of Magento on 2 separate servers. 1 is located in Scandinavia and serves Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland and the other site is hosted in the UK and serves UK, France, Germany soon Italy and I need to add the US to the list too.

I'm wanting to combine all the sites onto one server for several reasons, a big one being the Scandinavian side of the business is getting ripped off big style for what they are getting.

Im wanting to know what people think is the best hosting setup for a site that needs to serve all of these countries.

Should I stick with several servers, 1 in the US, 1 in the UK and 1 in Scandinavia.

or should I run them all from 1 very good dedicated server somewhere? If so where?

Or should I use a cloud based solution? am I right in thinking a Cloud solution is designed to solve load balancing issues rather than location issues?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Depends on your client's budget, really. You can blow your brains out with hosting, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The question I have is why there are two separate sites for two separate groups of countries that don't have any obvious division other than "regional geography in one case". Personally, I'd merge them all into one larger site if possible.

Cloud solutions aren't for location, as much as they are redundancy and things of that nature (if datacenter 1 goes down, datacenter 2 takes over). So this won't really work for what you're trying to do and will probably just add expense for no good reason.

Your first approach sounds like the smartest to me...unless they've got some massive traffic to any one or all of the sites, keep them on multiple independently operating servers or VPSes.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the clarification re cloud servers.

Its a complicated business model where they were running the UK site and then have licensed certain products to the US and then franchised off part of the business to Scandinavia, so the Scandinavians built their own site to start with and the products were sold through other distributors in the US so no need for a site.

Now several years later they've got rid of the franchise model but its not worth redoing that site so we are just taking ownership of their current one. They were paying 250 Euro per month for a Dedicated VPS (this is how they've sold it but I dont think dedicated VPS makes sense, either its one or the other?) with 2GB RAM and 2 Cores which I think is extortion as for compatible spec hosting in the UK Im paying roughly 200 Euro per year and Ive found a dedicated server in Stockholm with specs over 10 times better for only 150 Euro per month.

As for the US they have now expanded the product range to include products which have a different patent and so they are now allowed to sell these in the US but not the original set of products.

So in summary, theyd like to keep the Scandinavian site as it is but just move it to a better price / spec server. The US site can be part of the main site but as the product line is quite different and the location is too it maybe worth having that just based in the US.

Just trying to get it all straight in my head before I jump in and commit

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A Dedicated VPS "sort of" makes sense in that the resources for the VPS would be allocated to you. That's not a good term to use, though.

It's not always strictly about price with hosting, either. It's about value, which is price + service + reliability of the server itself. That doesn't mean that the cheaper host doesn't offer better value...it means that it might, and it means that it might not. Research both hosts. Look up reviews. Filter out the shill ones (i.e. about 95% of them these days).

Here's my suggestion, based on geography...assuming you have domain names that are regionally targeted to each area, I'd have two servers. One for the US site (since it will need to reach a US market) and one for the European market. I would suggest a VPS is enough to handle Magento, depending on how many products we're talking about and how heavily trafficked the site is (the latter can have a huge impact on CPU in particular).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    It's a myth that physical server location influences search engine ranking or page delivery time. A single dedicated server is all you need, and it really does not matter where it is located. Just watch two things

a) a guaranteed, dedicated bandwith (some providers offer 1 GBit/s internal network connection, while the external bandwith may not be sufficient to guarantee 1 GBit/s for each customer if all need the bandwith at the same time, some others offer 1 GBit/s dedicated guaranteed, meaning that your server is always guaranteed the 1 GBit/s downstream/upstream to the Internet)

b) Large overall bandwidth of the hosting provider.

Remove Ads