Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Good hosting site for lowish traffic, heavy database + some computing

Member #

Good hosting site for lowish traffic, heavy database + some computing

Don't really know where to begin comparing hosting sites. Price is another factor - looking for pretty cheap.

Database will be between 35,000, and 120,000 rows + a couple hundred columns?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    Don't really know where to begin comparing hosting sites. Price is another factor - looking for pretty cheap.

Database will be between 35,000, and 120,000 rows + a couple hundred columns?
    Well I can tell you to avoid any EIG host. They may be cheap but you get what you pay for! There is plenty of threads here that discuss why, as well as what hosts we recommend. I'd suggest going back and reading some of the other info already there.

I'd also recommend avoiding GoDaddy. I had them for awhile, 1/2 cause of the price and 1/2 cause its a common name. That said, the company is a joke. In my opinion it looks like they want to transition into a platform like Weebly or Wix with their $1/month website builder crap. Either way they really do not offer much and their support was a joke as well. I've called and spent an hour on hold, just to be told by the customer support agent that I was doing it wrong and it was my fault. No attempt to help or anything. As soon as I switched (to SectorLink if you're curious) my problem was solved. It was indeed a GoDaddy problem and not something I caused. GoDaddy eventually admitted it after complaining about their customer service. They went in and saw or heard the phone call transcript and offered a year free hosting (yeah right)!
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Vapr_Arts has given you a good idea of what to avoid as far as a host is concerned. He's also recommended a very good host in Sectorlink (who I've dealt with for the past 14 years).

Now I'm going to answer your question indirectly. Since you've been talking about a spreadsheet and large amount of both data and formulas in your other thread, I'm going to make the assumption that these two threads are related. What you'll need first and foremost is someone to take your spreadsheet data, figure out how it can be best optimized in terms of organizing a database, converting formulas to values or possibly computed columns (although values would be preferable), setting up the appropriate indices on tables, etc. Depending on your data, you may be able to optimize your database in such a way as to minimize your computational overhead and thus save you some money and more importantly grief on the hosting end (as increased computational overhead can lead to site slowdowns and even worse, downtime).

There are other factors as well, such as how the site itself is coded; how it retrieves/displays info from the database; etc. All of these should be worked out first with your developer, and ideally the two of you will select a hosting plan together.

Now, if it were me personally, I would go for the Presence Cloud listed here:

https://www.sectorlink.com/cloudwebhosting.php

The reason I would is threefold:

1) Your base data is stored in an Excel spreadsheet, which means that it would probably work better with Windows technologies such as ASP and ASP.net.
    2) I'm mostly an ASP.net developer these days.
    3) There's room to upgrade. One of the problems with shared hosting is that, even though everything is "unlimited", it really isn't. I hate this term as a customer, although it's pretty well universally adopted and even the good hosts had to play this game to survive. You're going to hit various limits as far as CPU and RAM usage are concerned at some point (likely not hard drive space as your data probably won't be graphic intensive). When that happens, you're going to want to upgrade to a better plan. There's room to upgrade either to the Unlimited Cloud, a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or a dedicated server down the road. I use the dedicated server option myself, but I have several of my own sites as well as several clients' sites.

The other advantage to a VPS or dedicated server is that the resources for each are allocated to you. With a shared server, you share resources with everyone, which means that someone who accidentally does something such as uploading a script that is CPU-intensive can knock out every other site on the server. That can't happen with a good VPS or dedicated server...only you can wipe out your own stuff.
    khenney and Sven like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Vapr_Arts has given you a good idea of what to avoid as far as a host is concerned. He's also recommended a very good host in Sectorlink (who I've dealt with for the past 14 years)
    I'm not necessarily in the market for a web host, but I'm not familiar with Sectorlink and your post has me wondering if I'm missing out.

I've used Servint for the past decade or so. I've always been happy with their support (fast, smart responses every time) but it looks like they're pricey compared to some other hosts. I haven't reevaluated my hosting situation in years, so maybe it's time to take a look at what others are doing.

It sounds like you're happy with Sectorlink, and already gave a lot of reasons why. I'm curious if there are any negatives you can think of?
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The scenario that you described is a perfect example why I never strictly compare prices when comparing hosts. There are cheaper hosts out there than Sectorlink. There are quite a few of them, in all likelihood. However, I want the support and I want people who know what I'm talking about when I'm asking a question or I need something. That's value, and that's more important than "cost". You've found someone in Servint that works for you, and that's cool. I strongly advise that you stick with them if that's the case. The response time alone makes it worthwhile; when you have a problem, you don't want to be waiting and screwing around trying to fix it. There are so many horrible hosting companies out there (and I have dealt with far more than I care to remember myself) that we as developers and designers should be loyal like dogs to the few good ones that are out there.

As far as negatives with Sectorlink are concerned, the only one I've been able to come up with is that they don't offer offsite backup. I ended up having to create my own solution for that. But that's pretty much it, and if that's all I've got, I'm doing well.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    No immediate plans to leave Servint, but I gather they've had some management changes recently and I've wondered how it will affect them. They're already pushing their new "fully managed" services really hard, and accounts like mine may not be were their focus is for the future. I may soon be in the market for a second server, and was thinking it might be worth trying something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Uh oh. That's a yellow flag. It's not a red flag, but it's a yellow flag. You'd have to wait and see what new management does first, but usually new management operates under the "distressed asset" philosophy. "We're here to make things better, and in order to do that, we have to change everything before we understand what does and does not work." So looking for a second server with a different company makes sense under those circumstances.

Remove Ads