Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Which domain name?

  1. #11
    Junior Member Geeky Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23
    Member #
    54061
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Very marginally, at best. Look at it this way: Amazon and eBay don't have product names in them, and they get quite a bit of search traffic.
    I totally agree with you.. But it does help.. Every little thing helps. I mean my domain name doesn't mention anything about my product/service and the SEO is working well for me, but it does help

    Another advice I would give is to have the domain name as short as possible, easy to remember, easy to type so that people don't misspell anything, preferably no dashes, and preferably a .com instead of .net or any other extension.

  2.  

  3. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    381
    Member #
    39859
    Liked
    135 times
    Personally I agree with Bleau Canon that if you can have the search term in the domain name it can have a positive effect. I have that with a number of my domains and quite often have come out number 1 on Google and at least toward the top. Of course not everyone can do that. I do agree that a com is the best way to go and .net might be acceptable but would avoid ones like .co or .ws or any of the others. Personally I would rather have a good name with a dash than a bad one without a dash but dashes are better avoided. In one of the examples there was one with a dash. I think it looks unbalanced and would like it better with two dashes. I am still thinking about which of the suggested names I like the best. I do see the logic of staying with the established name.
    glasslady likes this.

  4. #13
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeky Devil View Post
    I totally agree with you.. But it does help.. Every little thing helps. I mean my domain name doesn't mention anything about my product/service and the SEO is working well for me, but it does help
    Can you prove that the domain is a contributing factor, though? You really can't. This is one of the major weaknesses of the SEO industry in general...the people in it often try to isolate things to an individual factor when it's a combination of many things, where no one thing has any particular impact individually. Each part needs the others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Geeky Devil View Post
    Another advice I would give is to have the domain name as short as possible, easy to remember, easy to type so that people don't misspell anything, preferably no dashes, and preferably a .com instead of .net or any other extension.
    This is why I suggested GlassMonkeyArtStudio.com. It's not particularly short, but it's memorable and easy enough to type/spell.
    glasslady likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  5. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6
    Member #
    54071
    It seems there is no general consensus on what a good domain name is. So here is what I have so far:

    1 vote for GlassMonkeyArtStudio
    1 vote for keeping current domain AGlassMenagerie
    1 vote for GlassLady which I do not own but could obtain (maybe)
    1 vote for keyword/product based name
    1 vote against keyword/product based name

    It leaves a girl in a bit of a quandary. I love hearing all the opinions. What I put together from this is perhaps using a quirky, unique, short name that sticks in one's mind that also contains a product/keyword such as stained glass, art glass,etc?

    I'd like to hear more from you guys!

  6. #15
    Junior Member Full Circle Innovation's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    54076
    Liked
    2 times
    I recommend that you go with a .com rather than any other exstention for professionalism. You could use dashes i.e. stained-glass-etc.com

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    381
    Member #
    39859
    Liked
    135 times
    Of the suggestions you made the two I like the best are


    # 1 STAINEDGLASS-WINDOWS.COM

    I eliminated everything that wasn't a .com which narrowed the field a lot. Had there been one that really grabbed my attention I might have included that. However to be honest if it was available I would like Stained-Glass-Windows.com better. The one dash throws it off balance for me if that makes sense.

    # 2. GLASSMONKEYARTSTUDIO.COM I like this because it is memorable but don't like it from a search standpoint. Also as mentioned it would have the potential for a great logo.

    Now I will muddy the waters a bit and suggest some alternatives which I have not checked to see if they are available.

    How about

    stainedglassmonky.com or

    beautifulstainedglass.com

    Beautiful could be changed to stunning, exquisite or some other term to denote a beautiful product.

  8. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6
    Member #
    54071
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    Of the suggestions you made the two I like the best are


    # 1 STAINEDGLASS-WINDOWS.COM

    I eliminated everything that wasn't a .com which narrowed the field a lot. Had there been one that really grabbed my attention I might have included that. However to be honest if it was available I would like Stained-Glass-Windows.com better. The one dash throws it off balance for me if that makes sense.

    # 2. GLASSMONKEYARTSTUDIO.COM I like this because it is memorable but don't like it from a search standpoint. Also as mentioned it would have the potential for a great logo.

    Now I will muddy the waters a bit and suggest some alternatives which I have not checked to see if they are available.

    How about

    stainedglassmonky.com or

    beautifulstainedglass.com

    Beautiful could be changed to stunning, exquisite or some other term to denote a beautiful product.
    What about stainedglassetc.com or stainedglasswindowsetc.com? Any reason you don't prefer those?

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    381
    Member #
    39859
    Liked
    135 times
    No, I should have included them since they would be fine. Of those two I probably like stainedglassetc better just because it is shorter but it is about 51/49 between the two.

  10. #19
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glasslady View Post
    It seems there is no general consensus on what a good domain name is. So here is what I have so far:

    1 vote for GlassMonkeyArtStudio
    1 vote for keeping current domain AGlassMenagerie
    1 vote for GlassLady which I do not own but could obtain (maybe)
    1 vote for keyword/product based name
    1 vote against keyword/product based name

    It leaves a girl in a bit of a quandary. I love hearing all the opinions. What I put together from this is perhaps using a quirky, unique, short name that sticks in one's mind that also contains a product/keyword such as stained glass, art glass,etc?

    I'd like to hear more from you guys!
    Welcome to web design and development, glass lady! You'll get a bunch of varying opinions. Your job, being the lucky person that you are, is to sift through the opinions and info and figure out what is best for you and your situation.

    Here's what this comes down to...conversion. You have to look at what is converting (from the sounds of it, not AGlassMenagerie) and what could potentially convert the most (from the sounds of it, something else).

    This applies both to initial and repeat business. SEO is good for initial business, but if you want repeat business then you'll want something people can easily remember so as not to have to rely exclusively on the whims of search engines.

    I wouldn't use domains with dashes because 1) they look spammy (they were abused quite a bit in the mid-2000-aughts) and 2) because they're not as memorable. People don't remember the dashes.

    The thing with your GlassMonkeyArtStudio.com domain name is that it actually DOES contain two keywords, although not in a pair. If you did something like "MonkeyArtGlass.com" then you might be able to shorten it, get the phrase in, and still get make it memorable.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  11. #20
    Senior Member Vapr_Arts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,930
    Member #
    37412
    Liked
    544 times
    Personally I HATE dashes in the name, cause no one ever really remembers to use them. Our initial thought when you say glasslady.com is no dashes. If it had a dash would you go around saying glass-dash-lady.com? What if people literally think its glassdashlady.com

    I know this sounds silly but I think it goes back to being simple, and original. I live in a world where there are people that will think like this, so instead of hoping for the best I tend to consider these types of people when doing anything.

    I build with the idiots in mind since an intelligent person would still be able to comprehend it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Tags for this Thread

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com