Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Which domain name?

Member #

Which domain name?

I am launching a new website for my stained glass business. I already own a number of domains but am undecided which one would be better. Below is a list of the domains. I would like a professional opinion as to which domain would rank better and why. Thanks for any input. BTW, one is already in use AGlassMenagerie.net

AARDVARKARTGLASS.NET
    AGLASSMENAGERIE.NET
    ART-GLASS.CO
    GLASSMEN.NET
    GLASSMONKEYARTSTUDIO.COM
    STAINEDGLASS-WINDOWS.COM
    STAINEDGLASSCABINETS.COM
    STAINEDGLASSDESIGNS.BIZ
    STAINEDGLASSEMPORIUM.NET
    STAINEDGLASSETC.COM
    STAINEDGLASSMART.COM
    STAINEDGLASSPANELS.NET
    STAINEDGLASSSTORE.NET
    STAINEDGLASSTRANSOMS.NET
    STAINEDGLASSWINDOWS.BIZ
    STAINEDGLASSWINDOWSETC.COM
    THEGLASSMENAGERIE.NET

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    What's your business called? Or is the idea to pick a domain name first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #

Which domain name?

Quote Originally Posted by khenney View Post
    What's your business called? Or is the idea to pick a domain name first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The current name and domain is AGlassMenagerie.net which I will leave up until the new one gets going. I just want to use one that will rank well.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Domains don't "rank well". Pages do, based on content...and even ranking is misleading.

So to answer your question, pick the one that you think people would best remember and associate with your business. I'd go with GlassMonkeyArtStudio.com, if for no other reason than it has the potential for a really kickass logo.
    bleau canon and Vapr_Arts like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    I know you may not believe this but it's happened to us more than one time and it all has to do with domain and landing page content, the Description and Title.

Two weeks ago we built two websites for two of our newer small business management clients. We were fortunate enough to get domains that are a match for their businesses and both .com.

On their lading pages we put a full a full size image 2000 x 620 pixels. Below the image we used text only with their business name and what they do and where they're located and a phone number.

In the Title we put the name of their business only. In the Description we put exactly what they do and where they're located,.

Last Monday they were both on the 5th page of Google. Yesterday they're both on the 3rd page of Goggle one of them at the top of the 3rd page in their search strings.

We expect them to move on to the 1st page and the top of the 1st page in two weeks or less.We've done no seo on them so far.

It's all about the domain and the content. This has happened to us many times.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #

Best domain name

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Domains don't "rank well". Pages do, based on content...and even ranking is misleading.

So to answer your question, pick the one that you think people would best remember and associate with your business. I'd go with GlassMonkeyArtStudio.com, if for no other reason than it has the potential for a really kickass logo.
    Thanks for your input. I like the way you think! Do you design logos? Glass Menagerie has been around a while but I have found that a lot of people don't know how to spell Menagerie or even know what it is. I am forever having to spell it out for people which is one reason why I may want to change it.

Anybody else have opinions on which one?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Does your business have a name? Is it still undecided? You could use your business name if it is not already taken.

It is recommended that domain names be:
    1) as short as possible
    2) descriptive
    3) easily spelled
    4) easily remembered
    5) relevant to your niche
    6) not more than 1 dash, none may be better

I think glasslady.com would be a good one but there are likely options which would be just as good or better.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    One thing I think is being overlooked is that there's an existing domain name that's been in use for 5+ years. It already ranks well for certain local and long tail phrases (Stained Glass in Savannah, Stained Glass Pet Portraits). I fell that's a different situation from just selecting from a list of names with no history of use.

There may be valid reason's to rebrand (glasslady already mentioned selling issues, and it hard to compete with the Tennessee Williams' play in the search results), but the first question should be whether those reasons are compelling enough to justify abandoning a name that already has some trust and recognition attached to it.

I do agree with TheGAME1264 that domains are a tiny factor in ranking, and I'd take a memorable business name over a generic keyword based name almost any day. I'm sure bleau canon's experience is valid as well, but I suspect she's talking about ranking for a non-generic business name - I'd be shocked if you could get front page rankings in a month following the same strategy with something generic like STAINEDGLASS-WINDOWS.COM.
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Best thing to do is get a domain name that has your product/service name in it (it helps with SEO when someone is typing the name of your product/service on Google or other search engines).

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Very marginally, at best. Look at it this way: Amazon and eBay don't have product names in them, and they get quite a bit of search traffic.
    Geeky Devil likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads