Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By stephend500

Thread: Any hosters that allow me to use my own choice of cloud storage ?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Any hosters that allow me to use my own choice of cloud storage ?

Newbie here, very appreciative of this forum for true expert help !

Here is my situation specifically, so your replies can be targeted to it: I am planning a blog about a very popular hobby, and one feature of that blog will be for each member to post up to 300 MB of content from videos, music, and photos.

If the hobbyists blog really takes off successfully, let's say that it has 10,000 registered users within several months. So, with permission to post 300 MB video content, multiplied by 10,000, that equals 3 terabytes of storage --- not an absolutely immense amount, but not small.

Google Drive and One Drive can store large client files, right? So, this is the question: do you know of web hosting companies that would, for me as a paying customer, let me put blog members' content on those 2 clouds, and thereby avoid charges for big files kept on the server the web host uses?

Thanks muchly for help on this. I have some obligations today (Sunday noon USA East Coast) but will check back for replies tomorrow morning.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stephend500 View Post

Here is my situation specifically, so your replies can be targeted to it: I am planning a blog about a very popular hobby, and one feature of that blog will be for each member to post up to 300 MB of content from videos, music, and photos.

If the hobbyists blog really takes off successfully, let's say that it has 10,000 registered users within several months. So, with permission to post 300 MB video content, multiplied by 10,000, that equals 3 terabytes of storage --- not an absolutely immense amount, but not small.

Google Drive and One Drive can store large client files, right? So, this is the question: do you know of web hosting companies that would, for me as a paying customer, let me put blog members' content on those 2 clouds, and thereby avoid charges for big files kept on the server the web host uses?

Thanks muchly for help on this. I have some obligations today (Sunday noon USA East Coast) but will check back for replies tomorrow morning.
    If you can figure out how to retrieve the data from one of the cloud drives then you can use it. Unless I am misunderstanding something you should be fine with just about any host.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thank you, Vapr_Arts ! Since you seem to be deeply competent, let me --- as a newbie who needs wisdom on many aspects of website actualization --- mention that I will be putting up a couple of other questions at relevant parts of the forum:

One asking for examples of good plain-language terms-of-service agreements, and one about whether I can stipulate that I be given copyright ownership for all content created by a web design company.

NO NEED TO ANSWER THEM HERE -- but perhaps you can keep an eye out for those posts appearing sometime later today (Monday, currently 9 AM Eastern US).

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stephend500 View Post

First of all, projecting 10,000 registered users within "several months" is at best an optimistic projection and in all likelihood an unrealistic projection. Sites take quite a bit of time to grow, and unless you really have a hook and you get lucky, you won't see that kind of traffic. It's like poker...you have to know how to play and get dealt the right cards in the right situations.

Second, putting the files offsite will solve some of your problems, but they will create others:

1) You won't retain ultimate control over your files. Let's say Cloud Service X shuts down as soon as you become popular. Okay, no problem. You'll just go and get the files and move them to Cloud Service Y. Oh wait...Cloud Service X has shut down and you don't have access to anything. Problem.

On the other hand, if you find a decent and stable host, you can configure your site backups accordingly. This is especially true on a dedicated server.

2) If your site is up and your cloud service provider is down, then you may end up with broken images or, if you use something such as CloudFlare, the dreaded "your site is unreachable" even though it's been up the whole time. I learned this the hard way.

What I would suggest you do is try your idea on a small scale, but find a host that has the ability to grow with you as your site grows. Hosts that offer shared, VPS, and dedicated are the optimal.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    O.P. here: Thank you for some realism to temper my rambunctious expectations --- serious, no sarcasm. Also, superb strategic advice on where content is stored from a maximum-safety POV.

I will parachute out of comments or replies from this point onward, but will read everyone yet to be made. Gracias for the generous wisdom which has been given to me so far, and on other topics I will certainly be putting up.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No worries, dude. I'm actually glad you're taking my comment as intended. The point behind me tempering your projections wasn't to derail your enthusiasm for whatever it is that you're building, but rather to make sure that you didn't get discouraged and/or sink money based on those projections. It happens quite a bit, and your answer was perfect given the circumstances.

I'm working on a project that will have user contributions as well and I've launched the "non-user-contribution" phase of it about 2 weeks ago. I don't even have the "user" phase built yet, and I won't for a few months. So I don't expect users for those few months. My goal is simply to get the base context fully indexed by search engines and hopefully pick up a bit of seed money in the meantime...and I do mean "a bit". I don't expect hundreds of thousands of dollars. But I'm adopting the "slow, quiet, and steady" approach by design for this reason. It's not something I've even published on here for review yet, although I will hopefully come August.

Whatever it is you're building, I hope to see it when it's done and I wish you well!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads