Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By khenney

Thread: Changing website

Member #

Changing website

Hi, I hope this is posted in the right place i am looking for some advice on our business website.

We had our website redesigned by Hibu about 18 months ago and we are looking to move it elsewhere as we do all the changes and design on it ourselves so i do not see why we are paying 50 a month for a website when they do not really do anything apart from hosting it.

I am just looking for advice on what the best way to do this and if someone could point me in the right direction of what to do to get this sorted.

When the site was made we were advised to keep ownership of the domain so they could not take the name from us.

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    As far as I know, Hibu uses proprietary software that can only be used with their service. So while you might be able to keep the domain name, you can't take the actual web site with you, you don't so much own it as rent it.

If your plan was to move your existing website away from Hibu, you should first confirm whether that's even possible. Unless something has changed recently, "moving" from hibu would essentially mean starting over (which might explain how they get people to keep paying 50 a month).
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You can take the pages, images, CSS, Javascripts, etc. associated with your site. It's awkward, but doable. If worse comes to absolute worst, you can save the pages individually using your web browser for offline viewing and customize them from there; depending on the size of your site, it might be your best option (although anything beyond about 5-10 pages is probably best served by using a bot to get the pages).

What you can't take is any server-side processing. If you have a contact form, for example, you can't take the code that processes the form. You also wouldn't be able to take their editor with you. So if you're looking to preserve that functionality, you won't be able to...you'll have to find some other way to go about that. Maybe importing the pages into something such as say WordPress is the way to go if you want to maintain editing capabilities.

Whatever you decide, it's probably not going to be a simple process. This is the major issue with "hosted solutions"...as soon as you outgrow them or realize that you're paying more than you should, you have a hard time moving everything.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I am having somewhat similar question, I would appreciate if you guys can help me out n my thread:
    New Website - How to own content actually ?

Remove Ads