Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: I got a domain. Now what?

Member #

I got a domain. Now what?

I recently "bought" a domain (Free domain sharing - Site not yet configured) and registered it on FreeDNS and would like to use it. I was hoping i could use my domain on something like Weebly, but i would have to pay for it. Any free sites or alternatives? Where do i go from here? Thank you all so much in advance!

I might be completely wrong on how this works, please correct me if so. I need all the help i can get!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well what are you wanting out of this website? Is it just a learning experience? Are you trying to build something in particular? Willing to do some coding?

Your next step really depends on a lot of these answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    I want to make website that's kind of like a portfolio, but more of a collection of things i use. I have little experience in website coding, but i am willing to learn.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I am an advocate of coding things from scratch as most as possible. So I will give you information from that perspective. Someone else may chime in with a different approach.

How I would start would be by building the site, I tend to make a list of things I need my site to do, and then build a roadmap. I like to figure out where things are going on paper first. This could seem like overkill, not sure how many people do this, but it works for me.

Once you know what you need your site to do, you will start developing the site. You could do this 1 of 2 ways. You could build it locally on your computer and run it through a browser. If you need server side functionality you can do this locally as well using something like WAMP/LAMP/MAMP. Or you can purchase some shared hosting space from a host and do this online.

For my approach you will need to learn coding. Depending on how much your "little experience in website coding" is will depend on what you need to learn. HTML, CSS and Javascript are a must. It is debatable about Javascript being a requirement but I feel like it is considering how important UX is.

bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    We build sites using per say a roadmap. The two girls that do our html-css sites use Auticad. They've got templates made up of grids. They have what's called in cad programs pre made blocks. They use the blocks for different image sizes and text areas and can drag and drop them on their grid templates. When they start coding a site their roadmap done in Autocad saves them loads of time building the sites.

The first thing they do after discussing a site with a client is to make themselves a list of everything going on the site.

After they do their roadmap in Autocad they then Photoshop all the images to the sizes on their template.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Jun 02nd, 2016 at 09:09 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Sounds more like a wireframe, which I also do. Sometimes twice (rough sketches on paper + one nicer one done in Illustrator).

What I meant was more or less just a list/mind map. Which can include things that may not be seen, a server side function is included.

I didnt want to overwhelm OP with each and every step I do as I do believe it tends to be overkill on my end, but it makes things run smoother for me.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Sounds more like a wireframe, which I also do. Sometimes twice (rough sketches on paper + one nicer one done in Illustrator).

What I meant was more or less just a list/mind map. Which can include things that may not be seen, a server side function is included.

I didnt want to overwhelm OP with each and every step I do as I do believe it tends to be overkill on my end, but it makes things run smoother for me.

I think wireframe and grid are the same things, it just depends on what you want to call it. I don't think your comments should overwhelm anyone. You were upfront and gave what I consider the best method to start a website. It's the beginning of pre planning and the final plan to get a job done in the most organized way without fumbling through it.

My husband is an architectural engineer and owns his family business of 70 years, large architectural millwork shop. I've watched it go from normal woodworking equipment to now 90% cnc (computer numerical control) machines. I've noticed on the computer monitors on the machines the architectural pieces they're going to mill are in a wirefrme-grid.that was designed in Autocad and a new program called Microvellum. they have to write the programs to tell the machines what to do, so, I guess you could call them programers also.

My husband says it takes young minds with new ideas to make a company grow and stay alive and not go stale especially in architecture. Here comes into the picture our twin daughters that graduated college a couple of weeks ago, both now have degrees in architectural engineering. Their dad is going to retire in July and hand the business over to them for another generation to manage. He's impressed with them and so are their clients, and ole mom is too. They had no interested in my business and grew up working with their dad.

Any of you that have young kids, grab them by the nose and teach them your business, how to code and the languages, how to structure a website, and if they love the work you've help educate them and will be giving them a business to look forward to owning someday.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Jun 03rd, 2016 at 12:45 AM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post
    I think wireframe and grid are the same things, it just depends on what you want to call it. I don't think your comments should overwhelm anyone. You were upfront and gave what I consider the best method to start a website. It's the beginning of pre planning and the final plan to get a job done in the most organized way without fumbling through it.

My husband is an architectural engineer and owns his family business of 70 years, large architectural millwork shop. I've watched it go from normal woodworking equipment to now 90% cnc (computer numerical control) machines. I've noticed on the computer monitors on the machines the architectural pieces they're going to mill are in a wirefrme-grid.that was designed in Autocad and a new program called Microvellum. they have to write the programs to tell the machines what to do, so, I guess you could call them programers also.

My husband says it takes young minds with new ideas to make a company grow and stay alive and not go stale especially in architecture. Here comes into the picture our twin daughters that graduated college a couple of weeks ago, both now have degrees in architectural engineering. Their dad is going to retire in July and hand the business over to them for another generation to manage. He's impressed with them and so are their clients, and ole mom is too. They had no interested in my business and grew up working with their dad.

Any of you that have young kids, grab them by the nose and teach them your business, and if they love the work you've help educate them and will be giving them a business to look forward to owning someday.
    I am one of those people that will stop and admire good architecture like its a painting in a museum. I really enjoy the buildings with bright colors and the odd shape, but can also love a very simple and nicely built home.

If I had the patience I would really like to do some industrial design, and product design. Those CNC machines are so fun to work with. My school has one for our welding department. Took a semester and learned to weld, but decided definitely not something I want to do career wise.

Anyway, back to OP. Theres a ton of prepping that I do, but it is in no means required. I think when it comes down to it, if you know your industry/niche, you know your audience, and you are solving a problem, a lot of what I do isn't needed.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Our home is a restored farm house that was built in 1880 by my husbands grand parents. It's beautiful and we've not changed the integrity of it.

He best explained to me like you're trying to help the OP out with. He told me it's like a website you would build. You have to start with making a plan, building the foundation and then adding the structure to it. The end results will be a great looking website coded correctly and will work in the internet for you and your viewers.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Buy a cheap and reliable hosting such as in-motion hosting. Setup the domain there in c-panel by using add-on domains. Change the DNS, Domain Name Server to point to the new hosting accounts servers. Use the c-panel application installer to upload WordPress. Configure website and choose a portfolio theme form the many free that are available on the internet.

TIP: Type free responsive portfolio theme for WordPress and browse for one that suit your needs.

You can get hosting with everything you need for as little as $5 a month and you can get even more value if you contact the support team at in-motion hosting, asking for a discount before purchasing.

Remove Ads