Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By khenney
  • 2 Post By turboguy

Thread: Changing Domain Provider

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Changing Domain Provider

Hello,

I have a 1 year lease for a domain name registered with godaddy.com which expires February, 2017. I have been using an etsy sight with my domain name and have now decided to upgrade my businesses online presence and develop my own website. I am considering hosting in bluehost in the near future, and the plan I want provides a free domain name. Is there a way for me to switch or terminate my lease with godaddy so I can use the domain with bluehost? The domain name is extremely important for my business, so this means a lot ot me.

Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    You should be able to transfer it from GoDaddy to Bluehost, but it's widely considered a bad idea to have your domain registration and hosting with the same company (it can make it more difficult to leave if you have a problem with the host). You can leave your domain registered at GoDaddy and host it with Bluehost or any other host by updating your nameservers - there's no need to transfer it (aside from saving $10 with on the "free" domain deal).

Also, consider asking around before deciding on a web host, I think you'll find Bluehost will get less than stellar reviews around here.
    Rilo likes this.
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I see a number of hosting companies that are starting to offer a free domain name with their hosting package. I have never read the fine print but it would scare me a bit. My impression was that they are trying to trap people into their hosting service. If they give you the domain are they giving you the ownership of it or are they allowing you to use it. In other words if the hosting company jacks up their prices and start giving bad service can you transfer the domain name to another service or at least switch hosting companies and pay for the domain through them?

If it were me I would rather blow the $ 15.00 to use the domain name you registered through GoDaddy even if you can get a free one though the hosting company. I would sleep better that way.
    Rilo and bleau canon like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you so much,

is it possible to buy a domain name rather than lease it from a company like godaddy?

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Buy as in the sense you buy a television set, no. There are no plans that would let you buy a domain name for some larger fee and then it is yours forever without paying anything more, ever.

There are declining rates for long term ownership of a domain name. I haven't looked that hard at how long they run. I know it is at least 10 years. Perhaps they have some longer term programs.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    You do NOT want to host with Bluehost nor any other host under the EIG brand unless you enjoy taking pain and nerve pills.

And you do not want to have your domain with your host. Always keep your domain at a registrar and your website with another host, and never get hosting with a free domain.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Jul 18th, 2016 at 07:39 AM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Remove Ads