Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

cheapest/best way for a very basic website

Hello, I am self employed and want to create a very basic website with maybe two paragraphs of text describing my services and how to contact me.

I am not tech savvy to say the least . I've done a bit of research and found I need to pay for a domain name annually and I need a hosting site.

What is the best/cheapest host site for my very basic requirements?

Also where do I buy the domain name?

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    My suggestions would be:

For a domain name I would suggest GoDaddy. Other options would be NameCheap and Hostgator but there are a lot more. I have used about 4 different ones and always liked GoDaddy. Most people however don't recommend them for hosting.

As to a hosting company it is far easier to get recommendations on ones not to use than it is to get ones to use. Most everyone here will suggest staying away from GoDaddy and any of the 50+ companies owned by EIG which includes Hostgator. My suggestion would be SectorLink.

As far as creating the website yourself I would suggest using Wordpress which is free and a one click install from most any hosting account. There are also lots of free templates for WordPress. WordPress is not quite as easy to work with as some would have you believe but it isn't really very hard. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube. I like the ones by Tyler Moore and WPSculptor. Look for one that is more than an hour our it will be too basic. What I would really suggest is to use one of the free tutorials from one of the YouTube tutorials. Watch it once then watch it again and pause on each step doing to your site what they are doing. You should be able to create your site in a weekend.

There is also a pretty good thread here in the WordPress section titled "What customers tell us about WordPress. It is worth reading.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    For your situation, until you're ready to bone up for a full development service, I would actually take a look at SquareSpace. Their templating and customization is the best out there, and it will suffice for now. Please consider hiring out for full service as well. You'll pay considerably more, but the product will likely be better in the end.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have looked into what you recommend, but they offer more than I really need. Like if someone just wanted a website and all it had was one page which had their name on, that's pretty much what I want. I have no big aspirations for it. I just want to create a website. The traffic on it will be low.
    I know I said in the OP it's for business but re-evaluating this afternoon, I think for now I just want to create the simplest website possible.

What would be the cheapest and easiest for this?

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post

What would be the cheapest and easiest for this?
    I think you'll find cheapest and easiest are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

The easiest way to get a site up is to pay a professional to do it - obviously that's not the cheapest.

The absolute cheapest way would be to google "free web hosting" and choose a free web host, where you can upload an html file that you created yourself with your text on it. This part won't cost you a dime, but it will cost you time and possibly frustration (free is usually worth every penny). Your only cost would be a domain name, which can be had for about $10 per year.

A good mix between cheap and easy would be something like SquareSpace, which Ronald already recommended. Most people find it very simple to use, and it's only $12 per month. Did you find it to complex or too expensive?
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by khenney View Post
    I think you'll find cheapest and easiest are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

The easiest way to get a site up is to pay a professional to do it - obviously that's not the cheapest.

The absolute cheapest way would be to google "free web hosting" and choose a free web host, where you can upload an html file that you created yourself with your text on it. This part won't cost you a dime, but it will cost you time and possibly frustration (free is usually worth every penny). Your only cost would be a domain name, which can be had for about $10 per year.

A good mix between cheap and easy would be something like SquareSpace, which Ronald already recommended. Most people find it very simple to use, and it's only $12 per month. Did you find it to complex or too expensive?
    haha I know it's not expensive but for what will in probability only amount to the small achievement of creating a website, I'm not paying $12 a month. Sorry I'm a miser .

What is the best free host from your knowledge?

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
    haha I know it's not expensive but for what will in probability only amount to the small achievement of creating a website, I'm not paying $12 a month. Sorry I'm a miser .

What is the best free host from your knowledge?
    I don't have any knowledge of free hosts. I'd be surprised if anyone here does, as most of the active posters are professionals who gladly pay for quality hosting.

But I can understand the desire to get something for nothing, and free hosts do exist. I'd suggest using google and trying something that comes up on the first page of the search results.
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Give wordpress.com a look. IIRC, there's a basic free version.

OAN: Feel free to be a "miser" all you like, but you're only hurting your own business. If that's going to be your attitude, a web presence isn't really going to be worth the time to get it going. To set up a basic site, even free, let's say it takes you 2-3 hours. One thing I've learned about making money over the years is "don't forget to put a value on your time". Let's value your time at $20 per hour. At that rate, it's still going to cost you 40-60 dollars just to set up that site, which would buy you 4-5 months worth of 12/month hosting. An then, let's say you put in 1 hour per month of upkeep on the site. That's $240/year, which is almost double the cost of the hosting.

TL;DR - If you don't want to spend the money to do it right, don't bother.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Aug 02nd, 2016 at 06:01 PM.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Let's get one thing out the way before we go any further. The cheapest and the best online are mutually exclusive. You want one or the other. Pick one. You might get it if you're lucky.

Here's what happens when you go cheap...you can host a website and get a builder, etc. for $0.99 a month with 1and1.

https://www.1and1.com/website-builde...=Order-Product

There you go. $12 a year. Oh wait, there's a catch because there's always a catch...it's for the first year, then it's $9.99 a month thereafter. Now you have to figure out what to do with the page/site that you probably didn't or couldn't download and back up so that you can move it or probably have to rebuild it somewhere else.

Here's another $1 web host...

https://www.asurahosting.com/1-dollar-web-hosting

They're also "CloudFlare integrated", which is great if you want to worry about both your host AND CloudFlare not going down (the latter tends to have rather huge issues with downtime and connectivity...i actually improved a site's uptime by removing it).

I could sit here all day and list "cheap hosts" and their associated flaws. If you don't get the idea by now, you won't until you put a site on a crappy host and pay for it in terms of lost revenue...and then you still might not get it.

As far as your site idea goes, Ron already covered that. Being a "miser" isn't cute. It isn't funny. It's just a jerkish way to say you have a terrible attitude and don't like to spend money. If you're going to do something, do it so there's a return on investment and you're not looking at it as an expense as a result. Until you do that, anything you build is going to be a waste of time and money.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Have you ever checked asphostportal? I have simple wordpress website with them, and cost only $1/mo. They also give 30 days full money back guarantee for new customer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads