Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Protect Your Domain

Member #
    Liked
    189 times

Protect Your Domain

I've had an experience this morning that I would like to share with everyone, especially anyone new to purchasing a domain and hosting. This is not the first time I've had this experience, but according to everyone in my office and the client, I got violent on the phone with a host and registrar this morning. I will also add that this host is under the EIG brand,

My business is a business management and consulting firm for small to corporate businesses including the mom and pops. That also includes building and managing their websites and domains with their registrars if they ask us to do so which most of them do.

We have a new client that owns one of the oldest and most loved restaurants in our community, We eat there on a regulars basis as 100's more do. Good ole country cooking at it's finest. About a month ago they asked me to manage their business for them and build them a website so they could concentrate on the new growth of their restaurant and not have to fool with all the other.

They had purchased their domain several years ago with a host and tried to build themselves a website on their site builder which was a failure for them. We made them a test site on our testing server and got started building their website. When it was time to do the domain thing is when we hit a concrete wall with their host. Their control panel is useless and all we could do was point the domain to our server with ip numbers only.

A week later their domain hadn't resolved so we contacted the host. The host told us we'll have to open a support ticket and you will hear something in 72 hours and we'll have to be the one to change the nameservers. We new we were in trouble then so I called the client and told them we needed to move their domain to a registrar so come to the office as soon as possible, they were here in an hour.

We helped them open an account with a registrar. Our client then called the host and asked for the epp code and to unlock their domain because they wanted to transfer it to another registrar. Here again, we'll open a support ticket and you should hear something from us in 72 hours.

Three days later our client got an email with an epp code in it and to verify their email address. He was fortunate enough when he purchased the domain at the host to make sure his name was the registrant, or he would have been sunk.

So, this morning they come to the office to watch the transfer take place and be here...just in case.
    We logged into their registrar and tried to start the transfer....this domain cannot be transferred because it is locked. We talked in chat with the registrar and they verified the domain was still locked.

Our client calls support at the host, offshore support. He asked them very nicely to unlock their domain so it could be transferred. Once again we get we'll open a support ticket and you'll hear something from us in 72 hours, I told our client....NOT going to happen so I got on the phone.

I read the lady her rights, very nicely, about getting the domain unlocked so we could transfer it. This went back and forth for 30 minutes. She would put us on hold and I'm sure to talk to someone else about it. When she told me the domain couldn't be unlocked for transfer. Big mistake on their part and I jumped all over them.

We could tell she had other people in conference call with her but she was the only one doing the talking. I told them in a very "stern way" what I would do IF the domain had not been unlocked within 30 minutes or they would feel the wrath of me and our client, our in house corporate attorney, and we would file a complaint with ICANN and the Federal Trade Commission. You do not won't to be on the FTC's call list.

She hung up the phone on us so we sit here and wait until their 30 minutes were up before we would proceed with our threats to them. Five minutes later our client got an email on the phone from the host saying their domain had been unlocked and is ready for transfer.

We go back to our client's registrar and they verified the domain had been unlocked and we started the transfer. Without our knowledge and experience this person would have no doubt lost their domain. The host has also been sending them a $95.00 bill a year for their domain renewal.

I know this has been long but let this be a leaning experience with you in protecting your domain. We advise anyone NOT to register your domain with a host but use a registrar. NEVER host your domain with your host. ALWAYS make sure YOU'RE name is the registrant of your domain.

I suppose I did get violent with these people on the phone, and they've probably not heard a new form of language before like I was using on them but, I knew what this host was up to trying to hold the domain hostage, and I knew they didn't understand being honest and nice and doing what they were suppose to do with someone else domain name not registered to them. (I'm really a nice person)
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 05th, 2016 at 10:48 AM.
    TheGAME1264 and turboguy like this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, I'm going to be the guy that asks this question: how exactly does one get "violent on the phone"? Seriously, set up a hidden camera in your barn so you can record stuff like this. That would be YouTube 1,000,000,000 view-level awesome!

That is definitely one of the stranger stories I've heard as far as host/registrar combinations are concerned, but far from the only one. I had a case years back where a hostrar (who shall remain nameless, primarily because they're out of business) attempted to seize the domain and park it because of an "unpaid hosting bill". My client had his credit card stolen and had it replaced, but had not updated it with the hostrar. I had to politely point out to the hostrar that the domain name is a prepaid purchase and my client is entitled to it and they probably wouldn't want a fight with CIRA. Took them about a day, but they straightened it out.
    bleau canon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Okay, I'm going to be the guy that asks this question: how exactly does one get "violent on the phone"? Seriously, set up a hidden camera in your barn so you can record stuff like this. That would be YouTube 1,000,000,000 view-level awesome!

That is definitely one of the stranger stories I've heard as far as host/registrar combinations are concerned, but far from the only one. I had a case years back where a hostrar (who shall remain nameless, primarily because they're out of business) attempted to seize the domain and park it because of an "unpaid hosting bill". My client had his credit card stolen and had it replaced, but had not updated it with the hostrar. I had to politely point out to the hostrar that the domain name is a prepaid purchase and my client is entitled to it and they probably wouldn't want a fight with CIRA. Took them about a day, but they straightened it out.
    lol I figured you would be the one. I think violent meant I was using three different languages, one of them in their offshore support language, talking to them and was not accepting their %#@ for an answer in a very stern and direct voice. Anyway, they got the message I was relaying to them.

Not all host are like that host, but this one had a reputation for trying to hold a domain hostage so they could continue to keep it under their control.

We've had to do this more than one time so business as usual.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    That is the nice part of knowing more than one language. You don't run out of bad words as quickly.

If I recall correctly the only time I ever had a domain held hostage was from the one EIG company I have dealt with.
    bleau canon and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    That is the nice part of knowing more than one language. You don't run out of bad words as quickly.

If I recall correctly the only time I ever had a domain held hostage was from the one EIG company I have dealt with.
    The average person doesn't have a clue as to what's going on with their domains and especially talking to a registrar. I think what got the registrar all confused was I started talking to them in English, them changed over to my native language when she started the send in the support ticket mess again.

When she told me the domain couldn't be unlocked I unloaded on them in their language and it shocked them and they didn't know how to handle a situation with someone, that knew what they were trying to do and wasn't going to let them get away with it.

I'm sure they're still trying to figure out how they got caught in a lie and getting their lying a**** pounced on in three different languages, Good for them!

It seems any and every time we have to deal with anything EIG we have to unload on them in a not to nice of way and let them know...."you ain't fooling us and we ain't going to take any bs off you".

A word of advice to the newbies...if you don't understand something and it becomes confusing for you, find you someone with experience and ask them to help you. As long as we've been in business and the zillions of experiences we've had, we never hesitate to ask someone with more experience than us in a given situation.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 05th, 2016 at 01:41 PM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    You don't need to know more than one language to know swear words in it. I know swear words in Québecois, Italian, Spanish, and French.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post
    A word of advice to the newbies...if you don't understand something and it becomes confusing for you, find you someone with experience and ask them to help you. As long as we've been in business and the zillions of experiences we've had, we never hesitate to ask someone with more experience than us in a given situation.
    I agree with this to a point. If you're new, ask for help. You're more likely to get it. The problem comes when you gain a certain degree of knowledge and expertise and you get to a point where your questions become more complex. If you look on Stack Overflow, they're the types of questions that either have one answer, several that don't really apply, or none at all.

This is why I have a hard time explaining to my wife why I don't often ask for help. It's not a pride thing. It's not a fear thing. It's a time thing. I'll usually get to the answer more quickly and with a whole lot less frustration by myself than I will asking for help from people who can't or won't help me (see Group, Endurance International).
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I do think there are lots of people who are more than happy to help. Of course men are notorious for not asking directions and asking for help is a lot like asking for directions. I tend to be pretty hard headed that way and will spend countless hours trying to figure out things on my own before I break down and ask a question that someone else can answer in seconds.

An example of that would be the first web site I ever did and this was probably around 1998 or 9. I was using FrontPage98 at the time. I did the website once working for several weeks and had this goofy problem. There was a row of buttons on the left side. The pages would load and look fine and then after about 10 seconds one by one the buttons on the left would start disappearing all except a few of them. I played around for probably 30 hours then decided to redo the whole site from scratch which I did and still had disappearing buttons. There was a forum for FrontPage users that I had spent a few hours on looking for someone with the same problem and finally when all else failed I asked for help. Ten minutes later someone posted the answer and it took me about 15 minutes to fix it and problem solved. In case anyone is curious it was because I had spaces in my file name so all I had to do was change the file names from something like Contact Us to Contact_Us and the buttons stayed where they should be. That was actually the first time I ever remember participating in a forum. Now I am a forum junky but still spend a lot of time researching before asking which is not a good thing to do. I do think many people participate in a forum because they want to help and asking is by far the easiest way to solve a problem.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Frontpage 98. I thought I was rocking when my husband bought me a copy of that. I still have the original copies of software going all the way back to the beginning of Photoshop, CorelDraw, Paintshop Pro, Quickbooks and the list goes on. Now we have our own accounting software programs.

My business has gotten very complex over the years but there aren't any public forums to ask or give help on other than web design, hosting and graphic arts. There are paid membership forums for businesses but we don't belong to any of them. Due to the nature of this business and the work we do for our clients we keep it very private with a very strict Rights To Privacy policy.

Over the years we've met and made friends with other people that manage businesses for people in several countries. None of us think anything at all about calling each other on the phone and asking if they've seen this or had a certain situation like this before and if they have would you please advise us on it, If we decide we need someone else's advice we don't hesitate to ask for it. No need to fiddle around trying to figure it out when someone else has the answer and will help with it.

I'll be the first to admit though that help forums, such as this forum, is a major learning place to get answers from. There are some extremely intelligent web design members on this forum and I enjoy reading their answers to anyone asking for help. I've learned a lot from just reading this forum.

I'm not going to be selfish and not try to give someone an answer to a problem if I know the answer and could help them. This is not what it's all about. Everyone should be thankful for the help forums and give back to the forum by being able to help someone out that needs the help, and the same thing on the outside of a forum. You don't have to give away your secrets but you can be nice and try to give them an nswer in a decent manner.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 05th, 2016 at 03:09 PM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm the same way to a point. I have a monkey buttload of proprietary stuff that I don't share with anyone (mostly server-side programming stuff and concepts), but I'll share if I suspect I can without dipping into my proprietary stuff. I even have custom anti-spam measures built just because...well, I wanted to.

But I'll give you a scenario I ran into recently. I had an issue whereby I couldn't get a specific ASP.net checkbox control to fire an AJAX click event no matter what I did. When I looked online, everyone had the same sort of answer..."it's impossible". "Can't be done." etc. It took me about 90 minutes to realize that I just had to assign the event to a different link button control and use jQuery (since the client requires the framework in this case) to trigger the other link button control's click event.

Now, I do have a few friends and colleagues that I'll bounce things off of from time to time, but most of them are like your network of friends; they're not in web design, but they manage businesses and the things I'm bouncing off them are from the standpoint of a business owner.

I had all of my original design software and files for the longest time, but I did a ruthless purge just before my family and I moved in 2014. If I wasn't going to use it anymore, I didn't see the point in it taking up space. My personal fave was an old copy of Windows 98.

One of my clients still uses their copy of Lotus Organizer from the SmartSuite version that was released in 1999. It even works on Windows 10, although it takes a compatibility tweak. That's hardcore software usage right there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads