Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: An Open Letter to HostGator

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times

An Open Letter to HostGator

Dear HostGator,

I've dealt with you for the past several years on behalf of multiple clients, and never of my own volition. Despite this, we have had a love/hate relationship during this period. You love yourselves and everything about you, and like many designers and developers I hate your very existence.

I'm writing this letter to you because our marriage of convenience has never worked for me during this period, and it hasn't for many others. My hope against hope is that you'll be able to rectify these issues and eventually improve your company to the status of middle-of-the-pack mediocrity. I would hope that you turn into a high-quality host that actually solves customer issues promptly and effectively, but let's be realistic here.

Here are some of the things that you can work on:

1) Consolidate all of the other EIG brands and resources into one big HostGator brand. You guys aren't fooling anyone, so you may as well make it official. Hopefully some of the techs from Bluehost, iPower, Site5, etc. are better than the ones you have.

2) Stop with the stupid high-pressure thin affiliate marketing/bounty sales tactics. Getting yourselves onto every "top hosting" list directly or indirectly with the promises of up to $125 per signup is misleading. If anything, offer an affiliate program for existing customers only in order to reward those who would actually use your crap. There's nothing wrong with an affiliate program; there's something very wrong with yours.

3) When your support chat system says "We'll be right with you", don't keep people waiting 20 minutes...especially when they've already waited 20 minutes due to "high volumes".

4) Make sure the front-line chat technicians can think for themselves, as opposed to operating as a buffer between the customer and the technicians that can supply the customer with the proper answers .

5) Block known rogue bots so that sites aren't bogged down with "traffic" that can't possibly convert and interferes with the user experience of legitimate users.

6) Don't let your chat reps talk to more than one customer at a time. They're clearly not capable of multitasking, and I'm not even sure that they're capable of handling a single task at a time. I've had them send me an irrelevant response to a question on more than one occasion.

7) Look at Sectorlink. Try to copy everything they do. Their sales, their support, everything. They'll provide you a wonderful blueprint on how not to suck.

8) You should probably stop giving your employees free beer. Nice perk, but it may be affecting their performance.

Hopefully this letter reaches one of the five people left in your organization who still have working brain cells and can implement top-down changes such as these.

Thanks,

Adam
    turboguy likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads