Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By delstu

Thread: Uploading Sites

Member #

Uploading Sites

From what I have experienced, when you code a HTML/ JavaScript/ CSS script, it is still not an online website. You still need a hosting server to upload your script, give it a link (or anchor) to turn it into actual website that multiple computers from different places can access. And I have also heard of many sites can provide hosting services, but they either require you to include their link in your domain name as a form of advertisement benefit for them, or you have to pay a monthly fee for an independent domain.

Now, the big question: how can you upload your own website at no cost? It's not that I am a miser, but think about it. Google, Yahoo, and all the big websites, even the hosting service providers themselves, do not require a hosting server to help them with the job. They can all do it by themselves in that sense. If you think that I am expecting too much and asking to be treated like those big shot websites, even in the olden days, computer geeks do not have the need to pay to upload their own sites online.

It's not that I am saying those hosting sites like WordPress, Wix.com etc. should not charge for their services; sure, they charge for people using their utilities to create websites at a easy way and wanting an independent domain name, but how about those who know how to code, like us?

So, are there any methods to upload sites at no cost? To those who want to complain about me being miserable, I am not. I am just asking for a fundamental right, a right that our predecessors all had at their time. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HELP!!! View Post
    Now, the big question: how can you upload your own website at no cost? It's not that I am a miser, but think about it. Google, Yahoo, and all the big websites, even the hosting service providers themselves, do not require a hosting server to help them with the job. They can all do it by themselves in that sense. If you think that I am expecting too much and asking to be treated like those big shot websites, even in the olden days, computer geeks do not have the need to pay to upload their own sites online.
    All of those big sites own their own servers. You can do the same thing as long as you are willing to set up your own. There are NO free options. Ask one of those computer geeks how.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HELP!!! View Post
    From what I have experienced, when you code a HTML/ JavaScript/ CSS script, it is still not an online website. You still need a hosting server to upload your script, give it a link (or anchor) to turn it into actual website that multiple computers from different places can access. And I have also heard of many sites can provide hosting services, but they either require you to include their link in your domain name as a form of advertisement benefit for them, or you have to pay a monthly fee for an independent domain.

It's not that I am saying those hosting sites like WordPress, Wix.com etc. should not charge for their services; sure, they charge for people using their utilities to create websites at a easy way and wanting an independent domain name, but how about those who know how to code, like us?

So, are there any methods to upload sites at no cost? To those who want to complain about me being miserable, I am not. I am just asking for a fundamental right, a right that our predecessors all had at their time. Thank you.
    You may or may not be a miser, but you're definitely living in a parallel universe if that's what you think.

First of all, free hosting isn't a fundamental right. I don't even know where you got that idea from, but it sure didn't come from anyone here. A right by definition is natural; it does not require the action of another to provide it. Free speech is a right. Thought is another. Property is a third. Free hosting isn't on that list. Wanting something doesn't make it a right; it's a want, that's it, that's all.

Second, not requiring a hosting server to "help them with the job" doesn't mean they don't require servers. As Stu quite rightly pointed out, those companies spend on their hosting "infrastructure", and they spend bigtime. So if they want to throw a dotcom on their server(s) to promote the next big idea that they have, they can do so for "free" because they've already paid for the privilege.

As far as "the olden days" are concerned: yes, yes you did have to pay to upload sites online. I know because I was a web developer in those olden days; when I started as a developer, the first digit in the calendar year was a 1. Not only did you have to pay for it, but the resources available weren't anywhere near what they are now; hosting has actually dropped in price while delivering more resource.

As far as free hosts go...yes, they exist, and no, most of us will know nothing about them simply because our needs are more complex. For example, I spend in the three digits monthly on a dedicated server because I require certain resources. I'm not sure what Stu has going on for hosting, but I suspect he's not too far behind me in terms of monthly spend. Point being: we can upload our sites for "free" because, like Google and Yahoo!, we've already spent upfront. Obviously we don't spend as much as they do, but we spend nonetheless. So we won't know anything about free hosts as a resource in general.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    So, the idea is that the server themselves are what allow you to upload and host your own domain? Finally getting a little less confused now. Sorry for what I mentioned earlier. Seems like I might need more working on this. Thanks to both of you

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mamun22 View Post
    You can upload site to host in various way. you may see it

install-wordpress-theme-with-basic-plugin-demo-content
    3 posts so far, each one referencing your website (or maybe your youtube channel). Are you here just to SPAM this forum?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kerii View Post
    Yes you need a webhosting server to make your website live. Other people over internet cannot see your website until you host your website and take a domain name. And you should also know that ________ before putting your data on hosting or cloud server.
    One Post, one link-drop. Looks like a forum spammer. I am not even going to follow the link because it is almost certainly a waste of my time.

Remove Ads