Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How to change web design company?

Member #

How to change web design company?

Hi, This is the case: A company ''a'' have created a website (monthly maintenance is done by them too) for a company ''b''. Contract deadline between two of them is coming very soon. The ''b'' now wants to hire a new ''c'' company to do a new more modern website.

What's the procedure now, how can we extend domain and web hosting for another year before we change web design companies? Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    896 times
    You'll have to get company "a" to release the domain so you can transfer it, and get them to allow company "c" access to the files.

If the existing site is built using an open source CMS like Wordpress, you may be able to have "c" use a plugin like Duplicator to pull down a copy of the site. Still, you'll have to get with "a" to get the domain either released or at least have them update the name servers for you.

There's no legal way to jack it out from under "a". You're going to have to have a difficult conversation with them, and that's pretty much all there is to it. Their obligation to oblige you in this will depend on the terms of the original contract.
    16dom likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times
    That would depend on if company "a" registered the domain on behalf of company "b", or if "b" was smart enough to register their own domain. If "b" registered their own domain, then they can point the site wherever company "c" wants them to.

As far as hosting is concerned, this also depends on who hosts the site. If "a" hosts the site privately...and I suspect they do, otherwise this question probably wouldn't come up...then the deal would have to be made with "a". Mind you, as Ron suggested it would make more sense to get "c" access.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and if it screws you up it's an "as is" statement.

Some jurisdictions (e.g. Ontario, Canada) have legislation in place that indicate that the party that commissioned a work (in this case as an example, "b") is considered the owner of the work, and as such must be provided full access to the work regardless of circumstances. If "b" owes "a" money (as a strictly hypothetical example), "b" still owns the work. That means that "a" must provide "b" full access on demand to any source code, files, and other information that relates to the site on demand. This is one you'll have to research or find a lawyer to help you with, though.
    16dom likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

If company A has access to web hosting and domain, It is recommended for company B to transfer the ownership first. Take all credentials like passwords and usernames of ftp, cpanel and domain etc.

You can work on choosing and hiring a new company who can start reviewing the details. Once company C is comfortable to take over, you can decide not to renew the contract with A and can have new contract with C.
    16dom likes this.

Member #
    Thank you all. That was really helpful!

Member #
    One more question please. Why does the new company even have to save files from current website if the new company will create a completely new look using Wordpress?

Thank you.

Member #
    The website is on third party hosting provider....and its created over joomla. New web design company wants to use the same hosting, but they want to go over wordpress. What they need to do? Can they just delete the website and that joomla stuff and connect wordpress to the hosting site and create the new website from zero?

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times
    They could delete Joomla, but they'd be well-served to keep the URL structure as much as they possibly could in the process. I'm assuming Joomla has rewritten certain URLs along the way.

If I had to choose between the two, though, I'd choose Joomla (hypothetically, of course...I usually don't make these choices since I'm not a fan of either). Your company is already familiar with it and the theme could probably be made to work with ith. That way, you're not messing about with porting over of content and the issues that arise from it, and you're also not worrying about the constant updates to WP and plugins. The latter in particular is a huge ​pain.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    896 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    The latter in particular is a huge ​pain.
    It really isn't, though. Incremental updates are automatic now. I just get an email that tells me the site updated. Updates for non-core plugins can be updated in one spot with one click now, on the same page where other updates can be manually made. I've yet to have any update break anything.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times
    Yeah, I've seen that updater as well. I've found that I still have to spend one day a month on client WordPress sites doing the updates to WP itself, doing the updates to themes and plugins, making sure their backups work (BackWPup in particular fails quite often, which necessitates finding another plugin to get something to work). It's a great way to waste a Saturday morning, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads