Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sarahswansea
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: The Host (that I know of) That Won't Allow WordPress

Member #
    Liked
    2763 times

The Host (that I know of) That Won't Allow WordPress

I don't know how many of you interact with web host support techs, CTOs, and or CEOs frequently, but it's a good thing to do when you're a developer because there are things that will come up that you may not have previously thought of.

For example, I have talked to multiple hosts about WordPress recently. I have been in contact with one in particular, who shall remain nameless to avoid WordPress fan backlash. The host actually will not allow WordPress installations on its servers for security reasons. I'm not talking about "doesn't recommend you use WP"...I'm talking about, "if we see a WP install anywhere, we uninstall it immediately. Repeat offenses lead to account termination without refund."

Just curious to see if anyone else as heard of this and people's thoughts on this...as in real thoughts, not "WordPress is teh greatz because it will let you build teh best Internetz around".
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    We take the same line with customer websites.

Point blank "no sorry, we don't support wordpress".

I'm sure it's right for some people.

But the update cycle, plugin problems, ludicrously bad performance (cache helps, but it shouldn't be that bad to begin with), bloat (how many versions of jQuery do you need to load simultaneously omg!)... its all WAY too much work on maintenance.

And when a customer comes to us with their old wordpress website, do you know how many weren't already hacked? Zero percent. ZERO PERCENT!

And its not like the customer was even logging in to edit the website themselves anyway!

I did get asked to help with a WordPress install on someone's virtual host on a well known web host. Loading a single page took out the RAM budget and took ten seconds.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Programmer and trainee website designer at Tawesoft

Member #
    Liked
    2763 times
    This is a little different, though, Sarah. I can understand why designers...at least the smart ones...wouldn't touch it. I have three clients myself that use WP sites, and I plan on dropping one of them before the end of the year in large part because of this (the other two use WP, but it's not essential to their business models).

This is a host that is openly saying that they want no part of WP on their servers for the reasons you've outlined (and likely more). They basically want no part of "WordPress Designers" and the WP "Marketplace", and you're gone if they catch you doing it. They detect it, it's gone. They detect it again, you're gone.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    906 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahswansea View Post
    But the update cycle, plugin problems, ludicrously bad performance (cache helps, but it shouldn't be that bad to begin with), bloat (how many versions of jQuery do you need to load simultaneously omg!)... its all WAY too much work on maintenance.
    Poor craftsmanship on the coder's part. If you know what you're doing (and I'll admit most Wordpress people don't), most of that won't be an issue. The problem comes in where you have people setting these things up who couldn't code their way out of a paper bag. So, for every single thing they do, they install some plugin and just configure it. Well, if that plugin requires a particular jQuery feature, they'll enqueue the version they want. I have WP installs that don't load jQuery at all. I only ever use it myself when I'm doing AJAX, and that's only because I'm too lazy to learn how Promises work. And when I do use it, I still dequeue every WP copy and enqueue my own.

It is entirely possible to create a lean, fast, secure site in Wordpress. You just have to have an intermediate understanding of PHP to make it happen. It also helps if you're not one of those tools who would rather spit the site out for quick cash than to take the time to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    This is a host that is openly saying that they want no part of WP on their servers for the reasons you've outlined (and likely more). They basically want no part of "WordPress Designers" and the WP "Marketplace", and you're gone if they catch you doing it. They detect it, it's gone. They detect it again, you're gone.
    I dig it. There are so many people creating sites with WP who have no clue what they're doing that they can't get away from RAM-hungry, insecure crap piles. My biggest beef with WP is that it's ushered in a new group of idiots who are the same kind of people who were still making sites with Dreamweaver 5 years ago...only worse and more retarded. At least the Dreamweaver crowd knew they were wrong but didn't care. These idiots think they're doing good work.

WP is just a tool, like anything else out there. What makes the difference is whether you know how to use that tool for its intended purpose. Unfortunately, 99.5% don't know how to use it properly, and the other 0.5% are completely uninterested in wasting the time trying to fix the problem.
    TheGAME1264 and bleau canon like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2763 times
    Ron nailed my opinion, with one minor exception ,dead on. The only thing I would change is that, if I was going to build a lean, fast and secure site, I wouldn't personally use PHP to do it...and I have what could be considered "intermediate knowledge". This is, however, a personal opinion.

The WP "coders" aren't coders at all. They're script kiddies who rely on jQuery as though JavaScript couldn't work without it. As Sarah pointed out, they also have a habit of loading multiple versions of jQuery...I've even seen a WP site that loaded major versions from 1-3. Why in the blue HELL would you load three separate major versions of jQuery? And yes, they think they're doing legitimate, good work. The problem is that they know so little about WP and can't communicate that they do know that the client inevitably ends up with a useless site that they won't work with anyway.

Here's an example of a theme that a client of mine has for one of their "satellite"/"auxiliary" sites (whatever you want to call it is fine). Basically, it's not a core site; it's a basic brochure-style site that was created originally when WP had first come up, and had gone through several themes with several issues. They eventually settled on this theme in 2014 when it was first introduced, and have kept it ever since.

https://themeforest.net/item/florida...-theme/6609201

The problem is that there's a flaw that is unique to Chrome that exists in the default theme (which was the only theme for the first six major revisions) and has the entire time from what I can gather:

Florida | Professional Wordpress Theme

If you go to the menu and click on any of the submenu items (e.g. Pages -> About Us), there's no response the first time. The second time it works, but not the first. My client complained to the theme provider. My client complained to several developers (as in "at least 10 and closer to 20, including several teams"). My client complained all over the map and no one could even find it. I found it when I was migrating the site over to their new server and I wasn't even looking for the problem and asked my client if we should ask the theme provider if we could get support on it, not knowing he had already asked. He knows JavaScript so he wrote a jQuery function that would have worked, except that the theme utilizes the jQuery migrate function and as such messed up his code. I was able to fix it, but it took me about 20 minutes to figure it out.

Now...if that's not bad enough, check this out:

https://themeforest.net/item/florida...ate_descending

147 reviews. 4.5 stars. No mention of this issue.

So I don't blame any host for blocking WP on their servers, and this is just one example.

Member #
    Yeah I also read from some people about this thing.But as I know Wordpress is best to create simple type of websites and it is quite easy to use. It is good for the beginners But they should also check about it's security also. And they should do it's static code review testing also. so that it will be free from any kind of error.
    Last edited by devill; May 14th, 2017 at 12:07 AM.

Remove Ads