Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Curious on opinions from experienced memebrs on a hosting decision

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Curious on opinions from experienced members on a hosting decision

This is a strange request but I would be curious on others opinion from past experiences. As we know choosing a hosting can be a nightmare and its seems to be a trial and error with many. My question is what would you do if you where in my position kind of thing

I been using a hosting company which is for a selected industry. They seem to have a re seller account for Liquidweb (as far as my whois searches). Anyway I pay 29.89 monthly and a 128. setup fee when I first started out. Now I want to start 2 more websites and they won't let me do addon domains. I actually did one and set it all up and they want me to stop. I haven read their contract yet but that's another story.So now they want me to pay 299 set up fee and another 39.98 (raise) monthly. Plus 99 for a SSL cert which I actually did for free latest addon because their main account hands them out free via CPANEL

I basically told him he was being unreasonable. I built up a relationship with them over the years hence my post because a few top posters on here swear by support and relationship as I do. Let me get support out of the way it is OUTSTANDING!

My negotiations got me down to 128 setup fee for any addon site I want and 29.98 monthly fee for each site.

Therefore what would you do stay or move on? I just find they are kind off taking advantage of none techie users with basic accounts/websites. Many of their clients have basic WP and theme and that's it and I can literally click a button and have an addon with what I pay for now.

If I ran 3 sites the price will be close to 90 monthly plus set up fees and SSL.. What would you do? Now support is OUTRAGEOUS keep this in mind. 90 monthly is high and close to having my own private server, very good cloud based or VPS.

TY for input and I respect your opinions as I read through many threads on here and respect the experience of many of the members. This is a small business and definitely IMHO using a reseller account and the reseller tech support themselves when issues arise on server side. They would also offer me PHP, CSS or plugin support etc. Outrageously good support

TY
    Last edited by vinnymickey; Sep 03rd, 2017 at 03:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Run. Run away. I don't know what you're running on the existing site, but that price is way too high unless it's a high traffic or high usage application.

Without knowing exactly what you have going, it's hard to make suggestions. I use and swear by Lightsail, which is an Amazon product. I can spin up a server for $5 per month for basic sites like WP installs. They have higher plans if you need the horsepower.

It's all VPS-based, and you only pay for what you use. You can run up and shut down instances at will.

Free support is kinda garbage, but for $20 or $30 (can't remember) per month, you can upgrade and actually get technicians to do things for you.

Also, never pay for SSL. Use https://letsencrypt.org - it's free and fully legit.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Running basic WP website genesis framework, beaver builder thats it low traffic

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Oh ya. $5 Lightsail VPS plus ~$30/month for the business level support plan - $35 or less monthly, or $5/month without it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    can run multiple sites? I see its a totally priority backed GUI they use....steep learning curve....so use to cpanel

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, there's no such thing as a "basic" WP website. One of the big problems with WP is that it's a resource hog because it tries to be all things to all people.

Second, it's hard to say whether you're being ripped off or not. Would I pay $30 a month and a $130 setup fee to host a single WP site on a shared server? Probably not. I might, however, if it was a high-end server and it was private and my site drew a lot of traffic and I didn't already have a dedicated server and support was top of the line and it made more sense to do this than to get a VPS or a dedicated box. That's a whole lot of "and"s, though, and in my case at least two of them are non-starters.

Ron made an interesting recommendation and I know he speaks from experience, although I'm generally wary of any Amazon services...other than S3, I haven't seen one that's not either the equivalent of building a website with an Etch-a-Sketch or so overly engineered you need about a dozen graduate degrees to figure out what they're talking about. Mind you, Ron and I also have very different experiences at times although he's a very smart cat and I can pretend to be one when I have to be.

Normally, I'd recommend Sectorlink here...however, both Sectorlink and I have a very dim view of WordPress in general. They'll allow WP (and yes, there are hosts out there that don't), but primarily due to security reasons they do so reluctantly. I even picked up a client from them recently by "dehacking" a WordPress install in 90 minutes, so it's not all bad. Based on that, though, I'm not going to make that recommendation here.

The recommendation I'd make is somewhat surprising, but I'd go with the Unlimited Plus plan https://www.1and1.com/web-hosting . I have a client who hosts things with them and they've been remarkably stable. 1and1 is also not going anywhere; they've been around for several years. The only thing I wouldn't do is register a domain with them (you never register a domain with your hosting provider) but you already have one so you're good.

One other thing you'll want to know...if anyone recommends any company on the list below, avoid it.

https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/endu...p-eig-hosting/
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Sep 03rd, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    First of all, there's no such thing as a "basic" WP website. One of the big problems with WP is that it's a resource hog because it tries to be all things to all people.

Second, it's hard to say whether you're being ripped off or not. Would I pay $30 a month and a $130 setup fee to host a single WP site on a shared server? Probably not. I might, however, if it was a high-end server and it was private and my site drew a lot of traffic and I didn't already have a dedicated server and support was top of the line and it made more sense to do this than to get a VPS or a dedicated box. That's a whole lot of "and"s, though, and in my case at least two of them are non-starters.

Ron made an interesting recommendation and I know he speaks from experience, although I'm generally wary of any Amazon services...other than S3, I haven't seen one that's not either the equivalent of building a website with an Etch-a-Sketch or so overly engineered you need about a dozen graduate degrees to figure out what they're talking about. Mind you, Ron and I also have very different experiences at times although he's a very smart cat and I can pretend to be one when I have to be.

Normally, I'd recommend Sectorlink here...however, both Sectorlink and I have a very dim view of WordPress in general. They'll allow WP (and yes, there are hosts out there that don't), but primarily due to security reasons they do so reluctantly. I even picked up a client from them recently by "dehacking" a WordPress install in 90 minutes, so it's not all bad. Based on that, though, I'm not going to make that recommendation here.

The recommendation I'd make is somewhat surprising, but I'd go with the Unlimited Plus plan https://www.1and1.com/web-hosting . I have a client who hosts things with them and they've been remarkably stable. 1and1 is also not going anywhere; they've been around for several years. The only thing I wouldn't do is register a domain with them (you never register a domain with your hosting provider) but you already have one so you're good.

One other thing you'll want to know...if anyone recommends any company on the list below, avoid it.

https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/endu...p-eig-hosting/

TY, I read the thread on EIG and didn't know that and I found it very interesting,does explains a lot. I will check out 1 and 1 again. I am leaning towards sticking it out with same host for next site but not sure yet. My experience been very good with them over the last few years and thinking whats a few more dollars for peace of mind. I just wanted to get opinions if it was highway robbery

Your thoughts on WP is intriguing I do find it is a resource hog definitely when working on the back end. Would also assume if one uses bad themes, plugins or a lot of plugins things get bogged down. I came over from JOOMLA years ago and jumped to WP, I get pretty good results with all the themes and builders these days and not even sure what will be e step up at this point.

I will research more but I am guessing if not using JOOMLA or WP coding a site from scratch will be next? I'll research this forum to learn more.

TY for the responses and your time!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    If you're using downloaded themes, and especially, most assuredly, if you're using any "builder" (god save us from this term), WP is going to be a resource hog. If you're using more than 3 or 4 plugins, it's going to be a resource hawg.

WP in and of itself isn't exactly...light. However, it only becomes a resource hog when you hook into the core 400 times per page load because you're running some overbuilt theme with a (god help us) builder on top of it and loading 30 plugins because you don't know how to write 4 lines of PHP in the functions file.

GAME is right. WP is a damn dirty glutton...but not because it's too heavy in itself...because people add 7,000 lines of unnecessary code on top of it for no damn reason.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the input I'll try to work on my labels I use for terms

Not sure I'll get to the next level of developing but I''l keep all this input in mind...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnymickey View Post
    TY, I read the thread on EIG and didn't know that and I found it very interesting,does explains a lot. I will check out 1 and 1 again. I am leaning towards sticking it out with same host for next site but not sure yet. My experience been very good with them over the last few years and thinking whats a few more dollars for peace of mind. I just wanted to get opinions if it was highway robbery

Your thoughts on WP is intriguing I do find it is a resource hog definitely when working on the back end. Would also assume if one uses bad themes, plugins or a lot of plugins things get bogged down. I came over from JOOMLA years ago and jumped to WP, I get pretty good results with all the themes and builders these days and not even sure what will be e step up at this point.

I will research more but I am guessing if not using JOOMLA or WP coding a site from scratch will be next? I'll research this forum to learn more.

TY for the responses and your time!
    Yeah, the EIG one is a real eye-opener. The reason i brought it to your attention is that, if you're looking at other hosts, you're probably reading review sites. Most of the review sites are shill/"affiliate" sites because they're promised "UP TO" (but never) "$100 PER REFERRAL". So you get a lot of these "Top Ten" sites and you see a lot of similar names, including at least 3-4 EIG hosts (and inevitably HostGator makes the list despite sucking more than every episode of The Big Bang Theory combined).

Building your own site is always preferable, but it's also much harder to do. It's a learning curve and it is steep. The good news is that once you're through it, a lot of things become a lot easier.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads