Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Hosting/Domain transfer for new site

I've got a guy who's been taking care of the website for my parents small business for years. I looked it up on WHOIS and it appears this guy is basically a domain reseller through Enom.

I'd like to start handling the content of the website and basically giving it a revamp as the current one is outdated. This guy originally used a Joomla template and it doesn't have many bells and whistles.

I'd like to use a WordPress template or perhaps Wix.

My question here lies with the domain. Obviously, I'd like to keep the original domain and transfer it. I haven't started anything yet. But my question is, can I create the new site and then send it to this guy and he can load it on? Can a website be developed first then hosted later? Or do you need the host stuff before/during development?

I'd like to keep the existing site operational while the new one is being developed. Would it be a good idea to create the new site using a temporary url like .biz or .tv just to preview it, then transfer it to the existing .com once its finalized?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    You can still keep your old site online while developing a new one. To do this, you can create a folder on the server your current website is on and withint hat folder add the files for your new site. So in your case you would add all your wordpress files to your new folder. From there you can actually access the new site using yourcurrenturl.com/yournewfolder.

However, in this situation, i prefer to create a sub domain and point it to the new folder i.e mynewsite.yourcurrenturl.com. Once you have set up your database, added the wordpress files as well as edited the wp-config.php file within wordpress, you can run your new site's setup by going to mynewsite.yourcurrenturl.com.

You can then set up your new site and get it ready for launch. Once the new site is ready you can then backup your old site and remove the files, replacing them with all the files stored in the new folder. You will have to make a few minor changes to the database to reflect the new location but it's pretty much straight forward. Changing the site's url to your main url within the wordpress settings before moving it to the main folder is also a good idea.

Member #
    Moving a website to another host consists of the following steps:

Moving the website's files.
    Moving the website's database(s) (if any).
    Configuring your application to work at the new host.
    Pointing your domain's DNS to the new host.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Most hosting companies (including mine) offer a free offline-domain for testing. You can install WordPress using a 1-click installer, build your site as normal and then switch the Nameservers / DNS over once you're ready to launch your new site.

Just remember when switching the DNS over there can be down-time to the website while it propagates.

If you need more information, I do this day-in-day-out get in touch and I'd be happy to assist you!

Member #
    Domain names may be transferred only if they have been registered with the previous registrar for 60 days or more .

Remove Ads