Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Bluehost vs. Siteground

I am starting a relationship with a client who wants me to implement a website at Bluehost. I am not familiar with Bluehost but am very familiar with and confident in SiteGround. I see lots of negative about Bluehost online.

Is there an independent review comparison online between BH & SG? Where?

Should I be concerned with designing the client's website at BH? If yes, why?

Is there a steep learning curve in designing a site at BH? I.E. Getting to know their cPanel if they have one.

Is BH's online (chat) support competent and quick?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    You will find the information you need, including reasons to avoid Bluehost, at https://researchasahobby.com/full-li...panies-brands/

This is not my site and I have no relationship with them.

Siteground is still a good choice as long as their services meet your needs.
    Last edited by delstu; Dec 01st, 2017 at 06:52 PM.

Member #
    I'd recommend to stay as far away from BlueHost as possible. On multiple occasions they have broken my Wordpress sites because they added a readme.html file to the root randomly. Personally I use websynthesis.com for my clients. If you're looking for cheaper options, you can use GoDaddy... or maybe even my reseller hosting wink wink: zakkscheapdomains.com

Member #
    I'm not a huge fan of Bluehost or Siteground to be honest, however if I had to choose I'd definitely go with siteground, mostly because I feel they offer more for your money such as free SSL and CDN but also because I find using Bluehost a nightmare to use.

Having said that, I think as a developer it's important to use as many hosting providers as possible to get familiar with them given that you may be working on projects that already exist on other providers so if you're always sticking to one and have to work on a different hosting providers server then you're going to find it frustrating if they do things differently.

I have worked on Bluehost on many projects and have never actually run into the kind of horror stories you find online. I find most online reviews of hosting providers to be fairy contrived given that somewhere within the horror story you are likely to find an affiliated link to a different hosting provider and likewise with any success story you will find a dozen affiliated links to that provider so the only way to really know is to try different providers to find out.

If your client wants to go with Bluehost and you have advised them of your concerns and clearly pointed out you advise an alternative then my advise would be to go ahead with Bluehost. At the end of the day, you provided your advise and if they want to go against that and end up with problems through Bluehost then you are more than likely the developer they will hire again to migrate the site to another, more suitable provider, so everyone's a winner.

Remove Ads