Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: theGame What Domain and host Provider do you recommend?

Member #
    Liked
    171 times

theGame What Domain and host Provider do you recommend?

Its been a while since I have been here, just been caught up in life, working and dabbling with web design. I have always used Hostmonster and Game and several others have always spoken out against companies such as Hostmonster and Bluehost. I know theGame has posted before what he uses and recommended but I think it would take me for ever to read through the old posts to find it.

Anyways,like I said early, I have always used hostmonster, have set up many clients with Hostmonster and it always seemed like it was going great until my Hosting just expired and to renew it the price jumps from $178 - 3yrs to $450 - 3yrs. I was like WTF. I'd say that is a horrible business plan that I was unaware of. Obviously they do not value long term customers.

Soooooo, what would you recommend??? Thanks in advance for your guys and gals thoughts and input on this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Unfortunately, GAME hasn't been here in a while. Can't remember who it was he recommended, either. I've switched to Amazon Lightsail. I like it, and the integration with their own domain service, Route 53, is great. Support is kinda limited unless you get their upgraded support plan for $29/month, which isn't too bad, though I don't use it. I have a few VPSs set up with them, and at $5/month each, you can't beat it.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    If I recall correctly Game recommended SectorLink for a hosting company,

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Ahhh I think you are correct Turboguy, that sounds right!! Thanks for remembering it lol! I will also check into the Amazon hosting Ronald..... We use Amazon so much, why not for another thing lmao, heck I have actually been building highrises for Amazon here in Seattle lmao. Sucks to hear the Game hasn't been around, he has always been here even when the the site ebbed and flowed.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    So looking into Amazon, I found it pretty confusing, but it seems like first off you pay for AWS which is $5 month and then you have to pay for S3 which is a rate per data, and then you also have to pay for Domain through Route 53 or something else. Is that correct or am I missing something. It was definitely confusing.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You got the domain and $5/month part right. S3 is separate, unless you need it for something else. Lightsail is separate from S3. It's a different service altogether. S3 is a cloud service, where Lightsail is a VPS service.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Ok for some reason I didn't understand that. Then when I first started out with Lightsail it said start an instance and I was like WTF is that lmao. Then I went looking for other options.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Man I am having one hell of a time trying to wrap my head around the whole amazon thing, from setting up AWS, then an Instance, transfering domain over to Amazon from hostmonster (which I am seriously considering going back lmao). Trying to set it up to be able to use FTP (which the tutorial I found wasn't a secure access and didn't allow me into the root folder, but the other tutorial I was tried following which used the command prompt didn't work either because it was incomplete or I just didn't know what I was doing. I can see why so many use the likes of Hostmonster and GoDaddy because they set everything up for you and you don't have to jump through hoops. I have watched so many videos and read quite a bit the last two days. Do you have any tutorials or guides you would recommend that would make this any easier.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    ...Do you have any tutorials or guides you would recommend that would make this any easier.
    Not really. I kinda just muddled my way through it just the same. Once I got thru the initial headache, I came to love the whole almost-but-not-quite-full-control aspect of it. Now my server isn't running a bunch of junk I don't need, and for the lower price I'm getting faster, more customized setup that tends to be more stable.

I never really had an issue getting FTP going, though. Generating a key instead of just using a password is a little funky the first time, but I'm finding that it's becoming the standard due to security.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Bit biased but I'd recommend my company, (www.buysharedhosting.com). Cloud based, load-balanced, auto-scaling, SSD's as standard and tons more. Free SSL's, UK based support - the full shabang. We'd beat any price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads