Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need Help! Questions on Redirecting site and impact on Google Ranking

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a relative noob in regards to web development, so apologies if my terminology isn't quite right or if I've posted to the wrong topic area.

Here's the situation: I'm helping a small business with their site. The existing site, which was created a few years ago in Wordpress, is quite dysfunctional from a user perspective. However, this existing site has received a fairly decent Google ranking for its niche. Now, I've worked up a new website using Wix that, although not perfect, is far more functional for the business's needs. My understanding, however, is that Wix uses a different server than the existing site. So I have two concerns/questions:

1. If I launch the new Wix site I've created, effectively replacing the old existing site, is there a way to obtain a similar Google ranking with the new site as the old one? Are there SEO techniques that will allow this new site to achieve a similar (or better) ranking as the old one?

2. If the answer to (1) is "No", then I was thinking of keeping the old site going and have a "redirect" to the new site in order to, in a sense, maintain the ranking. So would the new site necessarily need an entirely new domain name to make that work? In other words, is it prohibited to be able to use the same domain name even though the site would be on a different server? Are there any other solutions or workarounds out there? Surely, this must be a common question, no?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

Kind Regards,
    IG

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Instead of using Wix, I'd recommend building an offline version of WordPress, exporting all the pages, posts etc and importing to your offline site. Get a theme looking right and once ready upload to the current WordPress. This will keep all your permalinks the same and shouldn't really see an adverse affect on the SEO. Just make sure the theme is SEO-Friendly.

If you move platforms, you'll have to use 301 redirects to point one link to the new site link. An absolute ball-ache - I've had to do this several times for customers who have moved platforms and have over 2,500 products.

Remove Ads