Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By bleau canon

Thread: How can i get my site online?

Member #

How can i get my site online?

I have all of my HTML pages together. All of my pics selected. Runs like a champ in Notepad ++.

Are my 2 next steps to register the domain name and then find a host?

If so, what advice do people have?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    For a domain name I would suggest either GoDaddy or NameCheap. Both are affordable, easy to manage and popular.

Some hosting companies will give you the domain name for free if you host with them. Personally I would avoid that like the plague. I would always want to make sure I had control of my domain name.

As far as hosting goes my favorite at the moment is SiteGround. They are terrific. Another that a former member praised highly was SectorLink. From everything I have hear they are also excellent.

Other popular and affordable hosting companies that some of the pro's don't like as well but there is nothing seriously wrong with them are GoDaddy, Hostgator and Blue Host. I do have a half dozen sites hosted with GoDaddy and their prices are reasonable, I have not had problems with uptime and customer support is not all that bad but not up to SiteGround.
    kgraham and bleau canon like this.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    The best pricing on domains now and the go right to it dashboard is with porkbun.com

We're saving big bucks with them over the other registrars. I moved 25 domains to them this week from Namecheap and saved about a $150.00 for renewals.

Their dashboard is as simple as it gets, nothing complex and complicated about it as compared to Namecheap's mess of a dashboard.

Internetbs.net is also much cheaper than Namecheap and Godaddy. One of our clients went to renew his domain with Godaddy last week and it was around $16.00. We renewed it for him at Porkbun and it was $8.40 and renews at the same price next year.

I suggest you use the registrar your most comfortable with though.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I will have to give porkbun a try. I have noticed with GoDaddy that the price seems to start low and keep creeping up when you renew.

I have seen at least one smaller firm do so stuff that seemed shady to keep me from transfering a domain away. I was trying to switch one away from a smaller company where ages ago I signed up for the hosting and domain. I wanted to move it to GoDaddy where I have a couple dozen domains.. GoDaddy told me I had to set domain privacy off to transfer it. I kept setting it off and then would get an email. We noticed you took it off and to help you and show you the importance we put it back on and are giving you 30 days of free domain privacy. I tried a few times to set it off and they kept turning it back on.

That is a good tip bleau canon, Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    I went to the office this morning to sit in on a meeting with our daughters. One of them told me they were getting ready to transfer at least a 100 client domains out of NC, GD and Monika to Porkbun.

One client went to renew a few of his .org domains at Monika and the renewal price was $17.95. GD and NC are getting close to those prices also.

I renewed one of my domains at internetbs this morning and it was $9.10 for a ,com. I started to renewed one of my husbands .com this morning at name.com and it was over $12.00. He said move it to Porkbun at $4.00 less. He said that savings would buy us over a gallon of gas for our Travado when we hit the road again this Spring lol.

Sure sounds good to me! I've had enough of this wet mountain weather. We're over 40 inches above normal this year and still raining and suppose go into next week. 5 inches in the last 2 days.

I got a photo this morning from a friend in Newville, Pa with her car covered in snow and ice. She said the weather up there is terrible.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Feb 20th, 2019 at 01:44 PM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Wow, you are getting a bargain from GoDaddy. I had this notice in my email yesterday from them for two ,org's that are set to auto renew

Auto-renews on 2/24/2019 for $20.99/yr**

I have a .com also renewing for $ 17.95

We have a bunch of snow out in W. PA also but I have been out in California for the past 3 weeks where it has been cold and very rainy. I start the long drive home tomorrow. My wife doesn't know how to run the snow blower so she told me she shoveled all the snow from in front of her garage door over in front of my garage door.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    Wow, you are getting a bargain from GoDaddy. I had this notice in my email yesterday from them for two ,org's that are set to auto renew

Auto-renews on 2/24/2019 for $20.99/yr**

I have a .com also renewing for $ 17.95

We have a bunch of snow out in W. PA also but I have been out in California for the past 3 weeks where it has been cold and very rainy. I start the long drive home tomorrow. My wife doesn't know how to run the snow blower so she told me she shoveled all the snow from in front of her garage door over in front of my garage door.
    Ah! The wrath of a Russian wife to her husband. I like your wife, good for her! As long as you've been married to her you should know she'll get the last laugh and make you squirm for forgiveness when you get home.

The .org at Porkbun is $10.75 with renewal price the same next year. When we brand a business for someone, we get all of their domain extenions all the way through the .info. We have a lot of .org to renew.

We do no more business with NC, GD, and Netsol. NC because of their prices and dashboard, GD because of their pricing, and GD is actually a good registrar and has a decent dashboard.

Porkbun has a sale on right now. 5 new domains per customer at $6.69 each with renewals prices at $8.56 each after the first year. And I am no way affiliated with Porkbun other than using them as a registrar.

Have a safe drive home, and your wife, she's one up on you now bud.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Feb 20th, 2019 at 07:49 PM.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Getting all the extensions is a good thing to do. I am not as smart as you are and didn't do that and it came back to bite me. I have one competitor who I consider a little sleazy who manufactures a competitive product and got my domain with a .info and then pays for a Google ad so if they search for my main product at the top of the page they see my product.info and it takes them to his web site and his competitive product. Before that he would run an ad so if anyone searched for my product they would see an ad at the top of the page that said "his product beats my product".

He did the same for all other competitors and I do think one or two threatened to sue him so I haven't see than one for a while. It is very wise to get all the extensions.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    You've got decent competitors and then you've got the sleazy ones. We started doing some business management a couple of years ago for a startup communications company.The owner told us he had never had a website but he has the domains for it, and he has all of them.

There's a company in another state that has the same business name as his and has had it for several years but couldn't get the main domain for it because our client already has it. They used another domain as close as they could get to it.

We built his site for him and had it over them on the front page in the search engines a few months later. They went ballistic when they found out about. They set out to sue him and try to bring his website and business down.

They hit one major hurdle though. He had bought the domains about 10 years ago and had already registered his business in his state and trademarked it, even though he hadn't started his business then.

They lost out on bringing his business and website down so they purchased themselves some expensive Google and Bing ads. That got them on the top of the front page in both search engines. They also went on to, more or less, become sleazy towards him like what's happened to you.

We, nor our client, did nothing but wait and see what would happen. We suppose after a couple of months those ads were knocking a hole in their pocketbook because they disappeared. He found out later, them being sleazy and him continuing to be the good guy, smacked them in the face when people started dumping them for him.

ALWAYS get all the domains for your business, always have a business plan, and always stand your ground if you've got everything in order and legit. Start branding your business before you ever get it started and continue working on the brand for as long as you own the business.

I would also advise anyone to do a survey of their competitors and find out everything you can learn about them before you jump wide open into the internet with a website. By studying their businesses and websites can help anyone start a better branding of their business in the internet. You need to be one up on your competitors before you ever open your business to the internet and work to stay one up on them. Always keep an eye on their websites and watch for any changes they make that could effect your business and how people would react to your website.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
    Bleau

Remove Ads