Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Done w/ GoDaddy

Member #

Done w/ GoDaddy

So...

When I started w/ GoDaddy, they were cheap & accommodating...w/ great support & lots of free features. Now, I'm paying over $150 annually for deluxe Linux hosting; & they are now charging $140 annually for SSL (which I don't currently have). In February, Google is going to stop showing websites in searches that do not have SSL...so I really need to make a move now.

1) Can anyone offer advice on a good hosting service that offers a lot of space...offers a deluxe (multiple domain) package...has free SSL...& is cheaper (much cheaper, I hope) than GoDaddy?

2) I have 3 domains & host 3 sites w/ GoDaddy...how difficult a task is it to transfer those domains?

thanx,

mf

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I have been really beyond happy with the hosting at SiteGround,. I have their GoGeek package which is a little higher priced than your price at GoDaddy but their next package down would give you everything you need at about the same price. They also have a big discount when you join them (If I recall correctly 50%) and you can sign up for extended periods at that 50% off. The service has been great. The support is beyond anything I have seen with other hosts. SSL is free

I still have one hosting package at GoDaddy and like you get less happy the longer I am with them. I do plan to move the sites I have hosted there to SiteGround and drop that hosting and also want to move away from them for domain registration but haven't decided who to go for with that. I used to like GoDaddy but not any longer.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    I can't speak for hosting - I've never been happy with anything but self-admining a VPS - but NameCheap are really really good for domains. If you don't want to set up LetsEncrypt for free SSL then NameCheap's SSL products are very well priced, about $10/year or so.

I wouldn't necessarily use them for hosting. But if they work out cheaper than GoDaddy then you might be quite happy with them.

They have really good customer support and if you host with them they offer to move your site over for free within 24 hours. They should be able to help you move domains over too.
    Last edited by Wired; Jan 07th, 2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: referral IDs not allowed: http://www.webdesignforums.net/forum/announcements/29852-wdf-global-forum-rules.html
    Tawesoft <-- hire me here if you need a Go or Python webdev

Member #
    I wouldn't be using Godaddy for hosting at all, nothing personal its just never thought of them as a decent hosting option.

If you want budget the Namecheap are actually very good for the price.
    SiteGround are better but more pricey but much faster hosting.

Now Kinsta is on another level but pricier still.

VPS is a good option if you're ok with using that, specially with the cloud options available like amazons cloud hosting, really affordable and scalable to your needs.

I think with any of the above options mentioned by me and the others would be a big improvement over godaddy hosting.

Member #
    I think you have made your decision by now. Im using hostinger which is great, but Namecheap is also not a bad choice. Hostinger is also budget-friendly. I have a few domains there, and a fully functioning website hosted on a business shared premium hosting, free ssl, free cloudfare which is a big advantage by the way. I paid nearly 100$ for a year, seems like a fair price for me.
    Answering the second part of the question: no, it’s not difficult to transfer domains to another host. Plenty of tutorials and support might help you.

Member #
    If your site is static, I would suggest Netlify. If you use a database and a programming language you may consider Siteground and Hostinger.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The only problem with Hostinger is that they do not offer subdomain SSL protection. At least not yet. And their email service, basic allows only 100 mails per hour to be sent before switching off the SMTP support after which it needs to be manually enabled.

With two other packages it is 200 per hour and 400 per hour limit. This is kinda problematic for companies that work with metal or wood manufacturing because they exchange so many emails per hour with their clients, partners, delivery companies and so on that that often can lead to 300 mails inside one hour after which if they are on lower package Hostinger algorithm switches off their SMTP and they are left without mail as long as admin of hosting account does not turn on SMTP again. It happens because Hostinger does not knows if it was spam or not so in order to protect domain not to be penalized by Google it switches off mail service.

But I believe it is also due some other restrictions that are not mentioned.

For domain extensions that Hostinger does not supports, you can just change DNS to point to your Hostinger account. Also, amount of help and resources is amazing, together with Hostinger being rewarded as fastest hosting in the world.

Sent from my K7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Soul Grinder; Sep 10th, 2020 at 06:53 PM.

Remove Ads