Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Help with web design and hosting options ( features )

Hi all,
    We are looking at options for launching an online academy where students can book live classes with tutors and instructors through Zoom. Temporarily, we would like to use one of the easier platforms ( WIX, SQUARESPACE, SHOPIFY) until we fully design our custom website in 6+ months.
    Which one of the mentioned above could do most of the following?
    - Animations: Support Animations or movie playing
    - User account creation: Allow users to create an account and enter their information
    - Calendar Booking: Students can browse each type of class, based on age, or topic, or interest within the class, they can choose the dates available.
    - Online payment: Upon enrolling they should be able to pay online (in-house or third-party addon)
    - Class information: Upon successful payment, they should receive an email with the name of the class and zoom id
    - Rescheduling: Should they have to reschedule or cancel a booking, they could be able to do this within their user account.
    - Hosting private content: Students who would like to access some pay-to-view content should be able to access it with a password.

I know that the best way to target all these features is by a fully customized website, but for the time being, I am looking at short-term alternatives that could work for us either partially of completely.
    Your help and opinion are very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    You should be able to do everything you want with all those platforms, with some configuring.

I'd personally use WordPress though, since it is going to have a lot more configuration options. When you start outpacing these drag and drop website template services, you'll find that converting them is gonna take a fair amount of cash. I know I wouldn't try to transfer a business like you have described over to WordPress for less than $5k, even if you only had 15 students.
    $1/year Portfolio Hosting with Promo Code: WEBDESIGNFORUMS

Agency: Marshalled Makers
    Hosting: Marshalled Makers Hosting

Member #
    I agree WordPress lets you add more functionalities due to the extensive amount of plugins available. But one thinkg I've notices is that wix or other platforms such as Shopify the load speed is faster. Also I think with WordPress you can create your own theme and design from scratch. I know with Shopify you can sort of do the same but not with Wix.
    Last edited by Wired; Mar 09th, 2021 at 03:45 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I'd be hesitant to make a blanket statement about the site speed of WordPress.

The number of expensive assets, like images, will effect the speed more than platform choice.
    $1/year Portfolio Hosting with Promo Code: WEBDESIGNFORUMS

Agency: Marshalled Makers
    Hosting: Marshalled Makers Hosting

Remove Ads