Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I registered TurtleTips.com through Network Solutions. At the time I didn't have any professional hosting. This was December, and the pro hosting started in February with Discount Hosting. I decided to go with them because they were well-established, and due to the hosting situation I got the web forwarding service which forwarded to that old DNS2Go address.

The cost for one year's registration was $35, and the forwarding service tacked on another $12. If I had known better I would have found this unacceptable: Go Daddy's 1-year registration is less than the web forwarding service alone.

The domain name became active a day or two later. But from then on it was downhill.

The web forwarding service was excruciatingly slow. It could be so slow at times that it literally would time out and give a classic "This page cannot be displayed" error. What's more, the web forwarding didn't feature e-mail aliases.

On three separate occasions I e-mailed them with questions about nameservers, and not once did they e-mail back. Speaking of nameservers, their nameserver modification form is not intuitive. There is a place to enter in the nameservers and then a submit button, but on the resulting page there is another button to confirm the changes. I never saw that, and waited up to a week wondering why the name wouldn't propogate until I saw it.

The absolute worst thing was when the nameserver form wouldn't work. It said I just didn't have permission to change it, although according to the WHOIS database I am the administrative contact for the domain. This knocked me offline for a couple of days, which can be an eternity for another site, such as a entirely online business.

Either way, I cannot find any reason now to recommend Netsol. I registered two other domains (unrelated to my projects or TT) through http://www.godaddy.com/ . They offer the same features as Netsol at a far less price, and I haven't heard a bad experience with them. Avoid Netsol!

Pros: They'be been around for a long time. Honestly that's pretty much it.
    Cons: Never received a single reply to three separate e-mails to them, charged $42 for a one-year name and web forwarding service, web forwarding service is so slow that it sometimes times out, buggy name server management and confusing interface
    Summary: Avoid at all costs (no pun intended). Check out http://www.godaddy.com/ instead, satisfed with two registrations from them.
    Rating: 2/10
    Home page: http://www.netsol.com/
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    ewww...thanks filburt, I was about to buy one from them!

*looks at godaddy* is it just me or does that url look like god addy? lol
    "I'm lazy and damn proud of it!"
    - Jordan S. Rains, aka, Me! >_>
    "I saw a car one day, I drove it home, and now the cops are after me for some strange reason."
    - ehem...me again <_<

Member #
    I hate NetSol. I have not had a single pleasant experience with them. They're *way* overpriced for what you get.

Worst case with them : On a project I was working on, this loser insisted that we use NetSol/VeriSign for our registrar, against my input. The head of the project decided to give it a go and try out, and if that failed, we'd go with my solution. NetSol/VeriSign couldn't even point to the right IP address as we were hosting the site somewhere else. The project lead was ripping her hair out with their Tech Support said that it was obviously our fault as we weren't giving them the right information. After almost a week of the entire site being down, we finally went along with my solution for DNS stuff (ZoneEdit). *boom* The site was back online. The loser ended up getting fired anyway as she was doing nothing but complaining and whining (with no actual work being done on her part).

I use GoDaddy strictly for registering now and ZoneEdit as my DNS. Both have proved to be competent services that are just for the right price.

ZoneEdit is free, by the way.

Since NetSol/VeriSign has been around so long, people just automatically trust them. What a joke.
    http://www.pearlsgirl.com

Remove Ads