Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Sectorlink

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In my Internet ventures, I have gone through a number of hosts in the last five years, some good, some bad, but none that I've ever really stuck it out with until now.

I discovered Sectorlink in March of this year when looking for a reaonably priced (read: cheap) host for a client project (at the time, this client was using Interland and didn't want to pay the fees associated with their cheapest hosting plan for what amounted to a secondary project).

So I told my client about Sectorlink and he signed up. In the nine months since, I have moved all of my clients for whom I am in charge of the hosting decision to Sectorlink (there are two that use alternate hosts of their choosing), put my own cmopany website on their servers, and have become a reseller. I have not regretted the decision since.

Pros:
    • A wide range of plans and pricing to choose from (from $4.99 a month for projects and sites that aren't all that complicated to dedicated servers which I haven't used yet.) This serves the dual purpose of allowing me more options to select from when choosing a plan in the first place, and greater ease and flexibility in upgrades when I've needed to.
    • Support, support, support. I have not yet had a support request that has taken longer than an hour for Sectorlink to provide me an answer with, and in one case, I got an answer to a question I'd had in four minutes. I haven't yet found a host that would even come close to that. I haven't needed the support that often (mostly things like activating Live Stats when I finish a site and it gets promoted) but when I do, it's there and I don't have to wait very long at all.
    • Uptime. I've had sites go down exactly twice in the nine months I've been with them, and one of those times it was my fault (something about loop that doesn't end that just knocks out servers. Duh!)
    • Components such as ASPTear and ASPUpload are included within most of the NT plans (I use ASP a lot to develop websites for various reasons and I love not having to go out and buy these.) For those of you who are Linux types, Sectorlink also offers Linux plans.

Cons:

I only have had one small but occasionally recurring technical issue. The Live Stats (DeepMetrix v. 6.2) server seemed to have some intermittent issues with my clients' sites from mid-October until recently. However, Live Stats has upgraded their package to 6.2.1 and I did notice some bugs in the package that were in no way the fault of Sectorlink (bugs that Sectorlink was nice enough to submit on my behalf and have since been resolved), so I don't know whether or not this was partially a host issue or a software issue. Everything seems to be okay now, but I will keep you posted.

Minor issue: by modern design standards, their site is somewhat simplistic. I'd personally jazz it up a tiny tiny bit. But that in no way is indicative of the service.

Overall score: 10/10 and a very big thumbs-up.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Glad you are having good luck with Sectorlink. I have had the oposite luck with them. Simplest of things take 24 hours or longer and most of the time a number of messages until I get in contact with someone that knows what they are doing. Example: I needed a sub-domain and was told that I could not do that, which I knew I could, as I had already had them make one. E-MAIL is my biggest complaint. You are limited to 25 outgoing messages at a time, so I am unable to reply to some of my lists that I belong too....or send out a message to over 25 people at one time. Sectorlink basically told me that was tough. I could understand if I spammed people, but that is not something I would ever do. My wife's account was suddenly changed and limited to 500 messages and it caused her incoming messages to bounce and she was taken off many of the educator lists she was subscribed to... That was upped to 1000, but I had set it to unlimited and for some reason..they seem to think that they can dictate what you are allowed to do with the service that they claim to sell. No where do they tell you of these limits or at least I could not find them nor could the reseller that I purchased my web space from. Down time..well, on a couple of occassions I was down for hours, but not sure if that was there fault or my reseller. If they had not crippled my e-mail services I would give them the thumbs up, even with the slowness of their service replies... I am now looking for another hosting company that is more customer oriented and up front. SECTORLINK is not customer oriented unless it serves their purposes, so BEWARE...
    If anyone knows of a customer oriented hosting company please send me an e-mail, as I am looking to move my domains and customers to another hosting company.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I've been hosting Transio with Interland for 5 years now.

The positive end is that I'm NEVER down. If anything goes wrong, I call their TOLL FREE number and get a tech support guy on the line in seconds, not hours. Then he has me fixed up in minutes, not days.

The negative is the price you pay for such service... It costs me almost $30.00/month for one little website I can't wait to get my static IP at home so I can ditch all my damn hosting costs (total of about $50.00 a month)

Member #
    Thanks for your reply....I will check them out. I am paying a bit more with Sectorlink at the moment so the price is in line with what I am looking for.
    Again thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I find that rather interesting, Tom Jones. I think the longest I've ever waited for any one thing is maybe 8 hours, and it was a very bizarre and non-standard question. I am a reseller for Sectorlink myself, so I deal with them directly. Are you doing this? And if not, maybe you should. Depending on your account, a lot of the things you mentioned are now in the control panel (subdomains, for example, are really easy to set up.)

I'm not sure about the email limit specifically. I've never had any email limits on my account and I get a ton of stuff sent to it. As far as sending an email to 25 people at once, I can't blame them for not allowing that. Anything more than that becomes a resource issue and affects other customers. It'd be like putting a letter into the postal system, or putting 1000 into the postal system. Which is going to have the much greater impact? Not only that, if your wife is storing 1000 messages on the server, why doesn't she just get an email client like an Outlook or an Outlook Express? This would allow her the luxuries of being able to read her email offline as well as being able to back her emails up.

I think the overall problem is you're eating up a lot of resource from the sound of it, and it may well be more than you're aware of. That's not meant to be a knock by the way, because most people aren't fully aware of the resource that hosting requires, but it does require a substantial amount.

As far as Interland is concerned, they were at one time far and away the best hosting provider that I could find. However, they're very rapidly becoming too big too fast, as a result of their mergers and acquisitions (one of which was Burlee Networks, a great host until Interland bought them out last year.) I experienced quite a bit of downtime and very little explanation.

I also suspect they're outsourcing their Level 1 support to overseas companies, since the last four times I had to call them I ended up talking to someone with a distinctly Pakistani or East Indian accent. This is not a knock on Pakistanis or East Indians; I'm just trying to point out that if I'm paying a premium for the Interland service, I want to know that when I call in, the person who I'm talking to is in the physical vicinity of the server and can actually do something to fix it (or can at least talk directly to someone that can). It's a corner that too many large companies are cutting lately, and sooner or later it's going to bite them square on the backside.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I have since changed my hosting services....so problems solved. I expect as a customer some sort of reply to a question and some sort of a solution....which is what I give to my customers. Thats only fair. The limits they place on their e-mail servers is their concern. It would just be nice if they would explain this to you in advance, which they did not and were very rude when I asked them to lift the restrictions...as for the e-mail limit on my wife....They did that without notifying me or her and lots of her e-mail bounced.....causing her to have to sign back up on the lists that she was subscribed to... As, for her doing it another way, she is restricted again by where she works on accessing e-mail services not of her work place....and works long hours and some times does not run her e-mail for days. My gripe is I pay for the use of a certain amount of server space......and was only using a small portion, like maybe 10% or less.....so space is there for her to use and paid for. As for resourses.....I only develope a few sites mostly for educational use, so traffic is really low. For the limit of 25 e-mail messages....I have yet to run into that restriction any where.....If I was spamming....I could understand. When I discovered the limit.....I was sending out a one time message to users of a new site.....87 to be exact and my mail was not allowed to be sent.....I then wrote to Sectorlink asking them what was going on....asking them to please take off the restrictions and got a message back about the limit and how I should go about doing it..... First, I have been in the computer business in all areas since 1984 and really do not need to be told how I should do things and run my business......One suggestion was set up a list server....yeah, right for a one time message.....second suggestion.....was break my group down into three lists......another wonderful suggestion.... When I run into this type of negative attitude.....it makes me wonder about other things.....so I started monitoring my site......it was down many times. I have now found a very good hosting service.....no restrictions....works.....honest and talented people running it....CUSTOMER ORIENTED... In other words I am now getting what I pay for not the run around...... I am glad you have had good luck with Sectorlink.... I did not.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just out of curiosity, who are you using and what is the site you're referring to?

JR
    Member #
    Sectorlink?

And... whoah that post needs some paragraphs
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I meant the new company, JR. And yes, I agree that the post does need some paragraphs.

Remove Ads