Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Brinkster

Member #
    If you're looking for a good, cheap ASP webhost, Brinkster is the way to go.

Main Features
    Brinkster offers you 60 MB of Disk Space, 2 GB/Month Data Transfer, 25 POP3 E-mail Addresses, FTP Use, ASP & ASP.NET and 25 components.

Of course if you run out of space or if you want more POP 3 E-mail Addresses you can buy more.
    The costs of getting more space/bandwidth/e-mail addresses are quite cheap;
    10 MB Disk Space more - $2.95
    100 MB Extra Data Transfer - 49
    5 Extra POP3 E-mail Address - $2.95 (+ one time $2.95 setup)

25 Extra Components
    You get a lot of extra components to use in your ASP pages, for free!

A quick list of all the components:
    • CDONTS (CDONTS.NewMail)
    • IP*Works
    • ASPUpload
    • ASPEmail
    • ASPEncrypt
    • More...

There is more, but I don't want to list them all. Look for your self at Premium Components

Uptime
    I have yet to see them go down. I've hosted with them for quite a time now, and my website has always been available.

Your site is hosted on 2 servers, with a load balancer. If 1 server is too busy or goes down the load balancer directs all the traffic to the other server.
    It takes approx. 20 seconds before the load balancer detects if a server is down or too busy.

Good: 60 MB of space, 2 GB of bandwidth, 25 POP3, upgrade possibilities, load-balanced server, 25 components, fast support
    Bad: Nothing much really
    Price: $12.95 a month ($12.95 setup)
    URL: http://www.brinkster.com
    Service Type: Webhost
    K i n g s

Several handy ASP Resources:
    4guysfromrolla | aspin | ASP101 | AspIt | learnasp

Several handy ASP.NET resources:
    ASP.NET | .NET Experts | O'Reilly .NET | AspIt | 4guysfromrolla

Several paid ASP/ASP.NET webhosts:
    Brinkster | Maximum ASP | Clicktech | Nodehosting | Uplinkearth | Webhost4life

Member #
    Liked
    1846 times
    I have also used Brinkster (albeit not as a paid host) so I'd like to add a few things to this review for those of you interested in a free ASP host:

Main Features
    30 MB of Web Space
    500 MB/Month bandwidth
    ASP.NET / .NET Framework v1, Mobile Internet Toolkit v1
    ASP 3.0 Support
    No advertising (unlike Geocities/Angelfire)

Extended Features

Windows 2000 / IIS 5
    WAP Enabled (MIME Types Installed)
    Flash Enabled (MIME Types Installed)
    24/7 Network Monitoring
    RAID 5 Based Hard Drive Storage

At the free level, you don't receive the extra components listed above by the previous poster, so developing anything that can be used practically is rather limited (I'll use it once in a while for beta testing purposes or for purposes of providing a customer a temporary site that most people won't find). Overall, they have been stable and reliable. However, I would not use them as a paid host, as reliable as they are, because there are better hosting deals available for the same money or less, and I'm able to resell those same deals on top of that.

Overall Score: 8/10. If they do change their pricing structure, I am willing to raise this score.

Score as a free host: 10/10
    I'm an expert in off-page SEO, social media optimization, and repeating everything everyone else says about these topics so that I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    I think $12.50 a month is way too expensive for what you get. I can think of three great hosts that do so much more so much cheaper. With the same features, just more space and bandwidth.

Member #
    Originally posted by Finkinstein
    I think $12.50 a month is way too expensive for what you get. I can think of three great hosts that do so much more so much cheaper. With the same features, just more space and bandwidth.
    Mind listing those three hosts?

Btw, brinkster is upgrading (or has already done it) their plans. But their price has also increased! Now the $12,95 plan has been increased to $15.95, but the bandwidth has been increased to 10GB a month. Now you can also have custom 404 error pages.
    K i n g s

Member #
    If you are using Visual Studio.NET and are wanting to write ASP code for an ASP.NET Web Application and then test it directly on the webserver without manually uploading beware of this response I got when I sent a help request to their PremiumSupport@brinkster.com:

"We do not currently support direct connections via Visual Studio .Net. You can only upload projects using Visual Studio .Net. via the VS.Net start page."

Does anyone know of a host that supports this?. I think that feature is being referred to as Microsoft FrontPage 2002-Publishing Feature.

This quote is taken from their knowledge base, AFAIK is totally wrong. This is regarding connect directly to yor web hosting site by using visual studio.net
    2) In the "File" Menu, choose "Open Web"
    3) In the pop-up form that appears, enter "http://YourUserName.brinkster.net" replacing "YourUserName" with your Brinkster account UserName.

http://brinkster.com/Kb/Kb.asp?kb=53725
    http://brinkster.com/Kb/Kb.asp?kb=79936

Member #
    the url http://YourUserName.brinkster.net is the url for your website, or are you complaining about something else?
    K i n g s

Member #
    I am not talking about how to view a page in a browser or how to ftp files into my site. I am talking about a very specific feature of Visual Studio.NET. I am not talking about the .NET technologies, but the actual IDE (Integrated development environment). Load the IDE, then goto, File Menu, Open Web...

Member #
    NO! Brinkster is horrible! HORRIBLE!!!!

I had a site hosted on it. I can't remember the name of the plan but it was $16/month. It was shared hosting, meaning the server was host to several sites. Well the server was only responsive about 8hrs/day and always only at night, never during business hours. Even then it would be extremely slow. I e-mailed tech support many times but they made no attempt to be helpful; they always claimed the logs didn't show any problems.

After about three to four weeks of that I canceled and moved my site to Lunarpages, which turned out to be excellent and I highly recommend it.

By the way, I had been using Brinkster's free hosting and was very pleased with it, but the paid hosting was worthless. I assume one of the sites on the host was somehow using up all its resources but tech support made no effort at all to combat this.
    ~CGameProgrammer( );