Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    ShieldHost (www.shieldhost.com) does a great job at web hosting. They have a starter plan for $1.99 a month. Linux, PHP, MySQL. They have good online tools and prompt service.

Regards,

Gray Graffam
    Graffam Communications
    www.graffam.ca

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    From the support request form:

"Please include any login names, passwords, URLs, paths to scripts, etc... (please don't make us contact you for this information)"

Which doesn't seem to be over a secure connection. I don't like the sound of sending my password in that way nor the tone - "please don't make us contact you", wouldn't "In order to help you in the quickest way possible please include..." fill you with more confidence?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I know from experience hosts should NEVER need to know your password for any reason whatsoever.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I can see that occasionally it may be necessary to test a service by trying to log the user on. In this case the admin should inform the user that they intend to change the password to allow this and that they will need to reset it when they next logon for security.

Member #
    ShieldHost does virtual hosting, and they provide a control panel for direct access. Sometimes they may need to know a password to provide service. For example, the Control Panel allows you to modify your MySQL dBs and passwords. If you are experiencing difficulties, they will want to recreate the events so as to provide support. As you maintain control via the Control Panel, you can always change passwords following support.

Anyway, my reading of the form is that they are requesting only that information that is required to execute the support, not prying for no reason. They want everything in one email for efficiency.

But, I have no disagreement with comments above. If you don't want to share information with a support team, you shouldn't have to.

Regards,

Gray Graffam
    Graffam Communications
    www.graffam.ca

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I understand the need for as much info as possible but there's no need to request passwords as standard, that's just sloppy and a host should know better than to lead users to distribute passwords in that way.

It just makes me question their quality of support.

Member #
    I agree. It's much better to execute a temporary override, as you suggest.

Regards,

Gray Graffam
    Graffam Communications
    www.graffam.ca

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    BEWARE: Host is registered by proxy and uses virtual hosting. Gray, I'd switch to soemone else if I were you.

Member #
    Can you give a bit more detail on the risk?

Thanks.

Member #
    I'll give a bit more detail on the risk -- I signed up with Shieldhost, only to find that they don't support all the standard PERL modules, several of which I needed to run Movable Type. (There was no info on the site other than the general assurance that they support PERL.) I submitted several 'support tickets' but never received a reply.

Then I started looking for a phone number to call. There was none. Physical address? None. Information in the WHOIS database? None. (That's what Steve meant by "registered by proxy." Shieldhost paid extra to make sure nobody could track down their real identity.)

Companies without real contact information have a tendency to disappear after a while, leaving behind forms that will take your money. I could not even find enough info about them to file a complaint with the BBB, though I will be disputing the charge with my credit card company.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads