Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dataflame

Member #
    If anybody has the misfortune of having their web site hosted with Dataflame, then I would advise you to back up EVERYTHING you have on there immediately before moving to somewhere else.

Features and price-wise, they are sound. They offer all the necessities such as PHP, MySQL, XController, and loads of other open source programs such as Awstats. The prices are competitive, and you have to option to pay in USD or Sterling.

However, that is where my praise will end. I have had an account since August, and have had two database crashes since then, FTP problems, loads and loads of downtime, and the Awstats does not work properly. I would suggest avoiding them, as although responses to e-mails are generally prompt from their techie support, they rarely offer any good news, and responses are more along the lines of, "Sorry, you're screwed."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I only have two questions and one comment:

Question:

1) It's now April. If they were that bad, why were you with them for 8 months?
    2) What's DataFlame's website?

Comment:

It's a generally accepted practice among good web designers and firms to make their own backups or to have backup provisions on their server. Now I have a dedicated box for my clients, so I'm in a bit of a different boat than most; nevertheless, I have a seven-day backup done of my entire server HDD onto tape at 2:00 AM every morning (by seven-day, I mean that there are seven different tapes, one for each day of the week, that my stuff is backed up onto). Also, I download the entire contents of my clients' sites, as well as any SQL Server databases and such, once every 4-6 weeks and burn a static archive then.

Let what happened with DataFlame be a lesson to you in terms of backup, friend. Hosts aren't always going to do it period, never mind do it correctly; so you're on your own when it comes to things like that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Aye, always back up.

One common mistake many people make is that "backup" is a loose term. To 90% of the hosts this means they have a script that worked at one point that backs up the data ONTO THE SAME HARD DRIVE. Whops? What's the problem here? Oh yeah... HD fails, all data is lost. That's the issue. If you're out for a quality host and need mission critical data saved, save it yourself and make sure the host does it right.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Brak's right. There are hosts that do offer mission-critical backup, even if you don't want a dedicated box. They don't offer it as a default, but if it's that important to you, then don't cheap out. Ask for it. It's always good to have an insurance measure.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I experienced the first database problem in January, but I wasnt due to reliability. I asked if I could have a domain name changed, and they said yes, but some alterations to my account needed to be made, yet they neglected to tell me that everything on my account would be deleted. I partly blamed myself for this.

The second, which was a reliability issue, occurred the other day. Since then I have had more downtime, and some dogdy permission errors on the MySQL DB. I am currently looking for a new host, any suggestions?

I am pleased I have learnt this lesson early on. I try to backup my SQL every week, but often forget. I dont think I will quickly forget now. Luckily though, this was only a personal site that was lost, at least it wont get me into any financial or legal trouble.

EDIT: BTW, their web site is http://www.dataflame.com or http://www.dataflame.co.uk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    * shakes his head * Maybe it's just me, but when a company can't even spell what it is they do correctly ("webhosting" is actually two words), that's a company I just don't want to deal with.

I know it sounds petty and minor, but to me that's a sign.

As far as decent hosts, I'm not really a Linux expert by any stretch of the imagination (NT or bust for me!) but I do know of a few:

http://www.sectorlink.com . Offers both Linux and NT. I have an NT dedicated box with them and I have no problems at all. They do a daily backup (they use the same tape and back up to it at 2:00 AM EST every day), and if you want a custom mission-critical backup solution (like if you get a client that wants it) they can offer it. It's not cheap, but they can offer it.

http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk . The owner, Matt, is a really decent guy from a few online conversations I've had with him, and I've heard nothing but good things about his company.

http://www.hostrocket.com - Took quite a bit of flak from some random lunatics from the hosting community for a while there because PixelBrick (the people who designed their site) allegedly "ripped" off a small portion of a Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce/CIBC trademarked logo to make a small portion of the HR logo (side note: CIBC abandoned the offending shape as part of the particular logo about three months before PixelBrick began using it and now uses something completely different), but they survived that and have been around ever since. They've been going now for a few years, and that's always a plus.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264
    * shakes his head * Maybe it's just me, but when a company can't even spell what it is they do correctly ("webhosting" is actually two words), that's a company I just don't want to deal with.

I know it sounds petty and minor, but to me that's a sign.
    I have to disagree with you on that. Internet jargons have a much more flexible format than conventional English. Here is short list that is all correct and used by the Internet community:
    Web design/webdesign, web site/web site, datacenter/data center,
    Web/web, Internet/internet ...

It's very interesting to me how different people notice different things when visiting a website (or Web site).

I personally wouldn’t be put off by just an "APPARENT" spelling mistake. I have worked with some very intelligent and highly organized people (even some managers) who occasionally make spelling mistakes.

I'm not associated with dataflame in any way, but judging a webhost by their spelling (as the first thing) doesn’t seem very rational to me.

Was this the only spelling issue (I wouldn't call it error) you found?
    :ermm:

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No, it's not. I also found numerous errors of both a spelling and grammatical nature.
    i.e., a persistant script
    "Persistent" is misspelled.

"Webhosting with the support you need to make it work".
    Technically speaking, web hosting doesn't require "support" to make it work, and this is something people should be supplying by default anyway. So for them to be so blatant about it tells me that their message isn't as strong as it should be.
    Our starter package begins from as low as $2.99 per month. All hosting packages come with free Virus Filters
    This implies that the starter package changes in price. They should have said "Our packages are as low as $2.99 per month."
    Everything from the connections to the Internet backbone, to the Uninterrupted power supply (UPS) has at least one back up. Two additional generator units are in place to provide capacity for an expansion for another 30,000 sq. foot.
    "Foot" should be "feet", "backup" should be backup, "backbone" doesn't need a comma after it", "Everything" needs a comma after it, and "UPS" does as well.

You want me to keep going?

I will say this in their favour: they do have DemoDemo web hosting tutorials on their site and since you have to pay a pretty fair price for those, that implies that they're at least semi-serious. (Not that DemoDemo tuts aren't worth it; you're just going to put out some heavy coin for them.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264
    You want me to keep going?
    No, no , no. I want you to stop right there my human fellow.

I don't want to divert this thread to an "English Howto" discussion but please look at what you've said and please don't go back and edit it:

"Foot" should be "feet", "backup" should be backup, "backbone" doesn't need a comma after it", "Everything" needs a comma after it, and "UPS" does as well.
    First, foot and feet are both correct as plural for foot. Look it up in a dictionary if you don't believe me.

Secondly, you've said "backup should be backup". Again, don't edit your statement. See how easy it is to make a mistake in your English even when you're carefully criticising someone else's writing?

This implies that the starter package changes in price. They should have said "Our packages are as low as $2.99 per month."
    Well, it implies to me that their starter package might have extra options or there is a range for the starter package.

This is taste or style you're talking about (However ambiguous they may sound)

Personally, I've been enjoying using online resources and many by non-English speakers with lots of errors.

I do respect your opinion and please don't take my comments personally, but are you not splitting hairs here?

We are talking about how good a web host is not how well they write English.

All the best :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's a reason for my splitting hairs. If they don't take the kind of care they should to formulate their message to their clients, then that implies to a certain extent what one can expect when dealing with them as a company. I'm not anal about one or two typoes on a site: that can happen. But when there are quite a few of them, then I'm going to formulate part of my opinion of the company based on them. I'm sorry if that's "splitting hairs" but that's how I feel about the issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads